Monday, June 13, 2011

A week without Lily

Sunday we parted with Lily for the week. She left Bald Eagle State Park with Grandma and Grandpa and we went on home. I had grand plans for great one-on-one time with Michael and doing fun things with just 2 kids. We ended up doing virtually nothing. Ugh.

Things that thwarted my plans:

--heart troubles over the weekend led to a doctor's appointment Monday, lab visit Tuesday, and cardiologist appointment Friday. Childcare was found for 2 out of 3 visits. At the lab, Michael entertained the other patients by saying things like, "Red is for lemonade" (on the water cooler) and "You need to go to the doctor" (to the woman asking him questions about his name and age). I am probably just fine, by the way. I have a bunch of tests scheduled for the end of the month, so obviously they are not worried about me keeling over and dying yet.

--Heat, my God, the HEAT. It was in the high 90s for much of the week, preventing any park adventures. Also preventing me from going to museums because there is nothing I like less that entering a car after it has been sitting in a parking lot in 100 degree heat. Also, Andrew's school had early dismissal on Thursday because they don't have air conditioning and it was dangerously hot.

-- The boys don't really know what to DO with each other. Lily seems to be the glue. The idea lady. I had to kind of teach the boys how to interact. And they did. But they didn't have nearly the fun times that Lily ensures. I mean, there was a lot less screaming. But there was a lot more tackling and ball throwing and rough play that led to injuries. No one pretended to be a cat or a Pokemon. It was a weird week. Michael came up to me a few times a day and said, "Where my best friend Luly?" Kind of sad and cute.

-- I borrowed season 5 and 6 of Grey's Anatomy from the library. So every afternoon and evening I was sucking into the soap opera drama of it. Meaning...no cleaning or projects were accomplished. I've never watched the show, and I really enjoyed the melodrama. But I think I'm over it now. Oh! And I read a book. Not a good one. But I read it. Very unproductive.

-- I decided that while Lily was gone I was going to hard core potty train Michael. We had no diaper on whenever we were at home. It went...okay? He is definitely ready. And he is definitely NOT ready. So. I don't really know what to do next. He will not ask to go if he's wearing a diaper, but he frequently goes potty when he is not wearing a diaper. Underpants feel enough like a diaper that he also has no problem going in those. So commando is the only way we have success. But it still isn't fool proof. Or should I say, Poop proof. Exhibit A:

This happened minutes after he'd successfully gone potty on the potty. Apparently he wasn't done. And he stepped in it with his shoes and walked through the house to get Jeff and I in the family room. He stood in front of me and said, "Ma. You got to come see this. I poo on the floor." -sigh- I hate potty training.


All in all, despite the craziness and the whining and the stubborness...we just aren't right without Lily. It's very Jerry Maguire. You know...she "completes" us.

And the boys were so happy to see her. She jumped out of the car and first ran to Shadow. Ouch. Then Michael ran out yelling, "My best friend!" and Andrew tackled her in a hug. And they ran in the house playing like a pack of puppies. A few minutes later we found them like this:



Just watching tv cuddling up on the couch. What a blessing to have kids that love each other. I'm so glad they have each other!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

That photo of the three of them cuddling is priceless!! Despite all the fighting its good to know that deep down they love each other.

And ewwwww, didn't need to see Mike's mess. Sorry you had to clean that up :( Good luck on the potty training front.

CARRIE said...

How sweet! Moments like that mostly make up for all the yelling and hitting.

The poop pictures sent my OCD into overload. Thank you Giselle.