Monday, November 18, 2013

Andrew. Just Andrew. Occasionally Mik...Andrew!

It's so hard to encapsulate Andrew in one blog post.  Kids get so complex and fantastic as they age.

Andrew is 4 foot 11 1/2 inches tall.  He is 76 pounds.  He still wants to cuddle like a lap dog.  I am not a hugger or a cuddler by nature...but it is really easy when kids are little and fit in your lap.  I have to make a conscious thought to remember to cuddle with this large bony kid.  But it is so worth the effort...he just craves touch and melts right into your arms.  He adores back rubs or getting enveloped in a hug, he curls up close to read a book or watch tv.  I enjoy it, because I know soon he will not want to hug his mom anymore.  But then, I've been saying that for the last 5 years, and it still hasn't come true.

He turns 10 next week.  TEN.  I am so incredibly proud of the person he has become, and yet I am so emotional about him growing up.  TEN.  Why can't I keep him around forever?  I so enjoy this kid.

Andrew has a sarcastic witty personality.  He is always coming up with jokes on his own.  He thinks of a pun or some word play and then tries to work it into a joke.  Sometimes they don't work...but usually they do.  He is fun to tease and will give it right back to you.  He is almost never disrespectful though...he has an innate ability to not cross that line when joking around.  He is clever and quick about his humor...and he cracks me up on a daily basis.

He can create a happy morning of play with his siblings or he can create chaos and fighting.  How our days together go depends almost entirely on Andrew's mood.  Luckily for us, he is usually an easy-going and kind big brother.  When playing on his own, he is almost always making lists or brackets or writing plays about computer game characters.  He really enjoys a good board or card game, but he still hates timed games.  They make him really nervous for some reason.  He is a good loser and just enjoys the playing of the game.

Andrew still loves sports.  He watches football with his dad, but still mostly enjoys the wrap up shows.  He knows crazy facts about players and stats.  He never complains about going to practice for whatever sport he's involved in and he adores getting in his uniform and playing the games.  He does NOT like to shower afterwards.  A struggle for sure.

He is messy.  He throws his socks around and I find them in corners all over the place.  His room is frighteningly cramped and disorganized.  He is in charge of putting his clothes away and will wait and wait and wait until I threaten to go on laundry strike to put it away.  He balks at any chore and you would think I'd asked him to donate a kidney the way he protests.

Andrew is still a kind kind kind boy.  It is the one thing that makes me the most proud of him.  He has empathy for others around him and hurts to see the world hurt.  He asks all sorts of insightful questions when we are alone together.  He is curious how the world works and the past.  He loves history, geography, writing, math...well...just about every subject in school.  I can't think of one he doesn't enjoy.

He has lots of friends, but NEVER asks for anyone to come over.  He had zero desire for a birthday party this year, although he enjoys going to other people's.

It's gotten to where Andrew teaches me things now.  Or brings up questions I don't have the answer to.  I always thought it would be a hard transition to not being the all knowing parent, but I like learning from him.  He's learning all about Pennsylvania this year, and of course I know nothing about it.  He gets such delight from teaching me, and he's a pretty good teacher.  He's going to end up WAY smarter than me, so I guess it's good that my ego is not too bent out of shape by this one.

He is not materialistic.  He does not ask for much and does not really question why we don't have things his friends have or go places his friends go.  He seems very contented with his life.

In a nutshell, Andrew is just one cool kid.  He makes me so very proud to be his mother and send him out into the world.  I'd hang out with him any day of the week!

4 comments:

bluedaisy said...

I know I only met him in person once but I'd hang out with Andrew (and your fmaily!) any time :)
I still remember our conversation about the school lunch menu ;)

Grandma said...

You did a great job describing Andrew. He is a joy to have as a grandson. I wish I could hang-out with him more!

Andrea said...

I love the description of all the kids. I remember this summer when Andrew and Lily were trying to save all the minnows in the tidal pool, and I made the mistake of mentioning "survival of the fittest", explaining that to them I think made me least favorite aunt! :-)

memere said...

I love being Andrew, Lily and Michael's Memere. It must be obvious because you can't keep me away. There is nothing like the butterflies I feel whenever I arrive. Those 3 little people rushing up to us with hugs. It's a special joy.