Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kiawah...Andrew style

Andrew had a blast at Kiawah this year. It is the first year that he just dove into all the beach fun with no adjustment period at all. It is also the first year that he could ride a bike, and although he still isn't very good at riding bikes, he will tell you it was his favorite part of vacation this year.

Andrew was really a mess physically. He had two green, healing goose eggs on his forehead (one from slipping while dancing in front of the bathroom mirror and the other from falling out of bed). He fell just before we left for Kiawah and skinned his elbow and left knee...pretty terribly, actually. He got a boogie board wrapped around his neck and got a welt and scrape. He fell off his bike and skinned his right knee and elbow. He ran into a pole while bike riding and scraped a huge chunk out of the palm of his right hand. I'm amazed no one called social services, honestly. But he just picked himself back up and kept having fun. He's such a cool kid.



We went on a walk to the point with just Andrew. We saw sea stars and 3 types of crabs and not much else. It was my mom and dad, Jeff and I, and Andrew. A very special morning with just our boy. And it was a really long walk...Andrew never complained. Here are my 2 peas in a pod.




Of my 3 kids, Andre w enjoys the beach the least. If we've spent the morning there and come home for lunch, Andrew is done for the day. Everyone else wants to go back in the afternoon, but he'd rather do something else. Of course, he is a good boy, and came with us when we wanted and didn't complain. He was patient with his siblings and cousin and ever patient with the disorganization and frenzy that comes with vacation.





He just seemed so OLD this vacation. He was so fun to be with and play in the waves with and hang out in the house with. He's really growing up, and I just like him more and more. I mean, I'll always LOVE him, but I just really LIKE him right now.

The last day, Jeff, his dad, Andrew, and I went on a kayak tour. It was Andrew's first time in any kind of row boat. He took the training very seriously:


And even though it poured down rain on us, and we didn't really see any wildlife, he just beamed from ear to ear the whole time. He had a blast!




Oh! These pictures are totally not in order...thank you blogger. Jeff and the 2 grandpas took all the boys to Patriot's Point...and this is the only picture I have of Andrew on it. -sigh- Paul took a million shots that I'm sure are beautiful...I fully plan on stealing them when we visit Ohio next.





Andrew also got lots of bonding time with his cousin. His only first cousin is just 13 months younger than him, and they don't get to see enough of each other.

As mature and wonderful as Andrew is, he still got to have lots of time being a kid. He had crying fits, fell asleep on the couch during one of them, had squirt gun fights and rode boogie boards and noodles, threw balls on the beach, played card games, video games, etc etc.

All in all, I think he had a pretty good week. We sure loved being there with him!

2 comments:

Aunt Sara said...

I think the picture of Andrew and Colin sitting in the chair is hilarious. Andrew looks like he's straight thuggin' with his basketball jersey and his "chain" :)
Looks like he has fun and I'm so proud of him for bouncing back from all his accidents!

CARRIE said...

Isn't it great when your kid gets to an age that you really like 'em? I wish I could enjoy N more than I get to...with the little ones. I feel like I am missing out a lot.