Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ms. Sheehan was right

I will write about Kiawah. I am overwhelmed by the pictures, etc. I must write about this boring running stuff because it is bothering me this morning and it will help me to dump it on here. Kiawah. Tomorrow.



When I was in 4th grade, my gym teacher, Ms. Sheehan, called a conference with my parents. Have you ever heard of a gym teacher needing to conference with a parent? Anyway, her big announcement to my parents was, "Your daughter runs wrong."

Now that I'm struggling to run...I think she may have been right.

Jeff is sailing. He is running 3 miles in 26 minutes. He is ready.

I am struggling. I still feel weak. Every run a fight against pain and the mental message "STOPPPP" that my body sends me. I have run 25 minutes successfully 2 times. That's it. And after driving 9+ hours home on Saturday, my ankles are shot. Driving has set me back. Stupid ankles.

So this morning I had yet another aborted run due to extreme pain in my lower shin/upper ankle. This used to happen every single run when I started, but since I hit the 10 minute running mark it hasn't bothered me. Until driving for 9 hours (I am the driver in our family...Jeff the entertainment director).

I was crying in frustration and desperate to find a stretch or medicine or amputation technique to help me. Why is this so freakin' hard for me?

I went to Dr. Google. And I've come to find out that I run wrong. I under-pronate, also known as supinate. Which means I have a stiff foot, run on the outside of my foot, and basically no shock absorbing capability in my feet. If you are so inclined, you can read more here. Or, since blogger no longer lets me add hyperlinks, http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-435-0,00.html

I have all the symptoms. My shoes are worn severely on the outside of the tread. My toes poke through the top. When I leave wet foot prints, they match the pictures on the web. I have a high arch. I have heel pain. Shin splints.

On one hand, I feel better about my sucky running. It is the way I run that sucks, the shape of my foot that sucks...not poor will power or psychosomatic issues. On the other hand, this is extremely discouraging. Running this 5K is not going to be easy, and possibly won't be good for me.

First remedy...good running shoes. I've been running on my $30 Sacony walking shoes, which are worn completely down. We'll see if new shoes help me at all. That's pretty much all the websites say to do.

-sigh- I just wish there was another form of exercise that was as convenient as running but I wasn't so rotten at.


Also? I hate that the mean old witch from 4th grade was right.





9 comments:

bluedaisy said...

At least there is a reason behind what's going- it's not for lack of motivation (which would be my problem). Depending on how much you want to spend, there are stores that will actually fit you for running shoes based on how you run. I haven't gone that route yet (because I should actually be in some running routine first) but if I ever get in the groove, I will. Also, Amazon has an online "shoe fitter" thing and you might know enough about your feet to use that...it then recommends certain shoes based on how you run and where you run (trail vs street). Anyway, I just bought a pair of Ryka's (Kelly Ripa's brand) for about $50 at Famous Footwear. It does sound like getting fitted would be helpful to you...and might allow you to run without so much pain :) I'm so proud of you and envious that you've stuck through all the hardship and I have yet to do even one run.

bluedaisy said...

PS:I don't know how great Ryka's are and I haven't worn them yet...but I got them on sale+coupon so they were really in the $70 range...hoping that they are worth it! (My word verification for this one is 'disco')

Elizabeth said...

What about walking? Without the pounding of running, it's not as tough on your body ...but if you walk fast enough, you can get your heart rate up and your endorphins going. I have only recently started to enjoy running (well, some of the time ...not sure how long this will last!) - in the past, I was always a walker. My dad and Erich would pooh pooh walking as a form of exercise, but they had a rapid change of heart when they tried to come with me and couldn't keep up after the first 100 yards. At my best, I was walking six miles at a 12 minute/mile pace (which is faster than some people run). You've got the long legs for it :-) Another key is trying to engage in multiple forms of exercise so that you're not always using the same muscles/wearing the same joints (and to stave off boredom). Have you ever considered yoga (buying a yoga video and doing it in your living room)? ...or weightlifting (which could be done in your garage with the purchase of a few dumbbells - see this book)?

Katie B. said...

You and I are running/foot problems twins, with the exception that you are actually giving it a go and running. I see runners and think, "look at how healthful and vigorous they look!" Then I try it and think, "thissucksthissucksthissucks" and quit after 10 minutes. Hang in there!

Rachel said...

Hi Giselle,
I would definitely go to a running store and get fitted for a good running shoe. They will be pricey but they are worth it. They may also be able to fit you with an orthodic to insert into your shoe. My bro, the sports med surgeon, recommended this for me when I was having more knee problems and we discovered the way I walked wasn't helping. I have so many fewer aches and pains now. As for the shin splints, I know my sister did ice massages on her shins when she was running a lot. Freeze a paper cup of water and after your run, rub the ice up and down your shin. It worked for her.
Good luck! Rach

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness!! Ms. Sheehan!! She is the reason I can't stand when people call me ON-Dray-UH. I haven't tried running in so long, that I wonder if I have a similar problem. Could that be why I can last so much longer on an elliptical machine? Perhaps that would be a potential future solution for you? Maybe I should read the article before commenting... but I am sure it is not as much fun to read as your blog!

Kate said...

You're doing GREAT. I'm impressed. I've never been able to run for longer than 5 minutes. I can lift weights. I can walk. But not run. I'm totally jealous that you are doing so well. Sounds like the shoes are a great next step. Go to the experts and they will find you a great shoe.

Pamela said...

First of all, yay, you're back! We haven't chatted in ages. I will call tomorrow and we can catch up.

I had a problem with sore shins and ankles when I first started running. I got gel inserts which absorb some of the shock of hitting the pavement and take stress off your ankles and shins. When those didn't cut it anymore I upgraded to Superfeet. Love my Superfeet! Also, run on asphalt, not sidewalk. Trust me, it makes a difference. And you're doing awesome btw! You ran 25 minutes!!!

Andrea said...

I do the EXACT opposite thing with my feet (like the mirror image of your feet) but it causes the same pain. Now I walk - quickly I may add a mile in 15-18 minutes. 1 mile 5 mornings a week and another one 3 afternoons a week. I'm definitely getting fitter (word?) from it.
Also I HATE when people call me On-Dray-uh and I never had Ms. Sheehan :)