Tuesday, December 25, 2012

One more year of Christmas magic

Ah.  Another successful, wonderful Christmas.

First, it snowed last night.  Just a touch.  Just a magical little dusting to make it feel like Christmas.  "Let It Snow" was on it the car, and Lily listened for a minute and then gasped and said, "It's just like tonight!  Let it SNOW!"  We went to church last night, and all 3 kids sang in the children's choir.  Then they stood in the live nativity scene while the Christmas story was read from the Bible.  And when they returned to us, they darkened the church, passed around a flame (we each had a candle),and we sang Christmas carols by candlelight.

Michael fell asleep on the 3 minute car ride home.  We woke him up so he could pick out a cookie for Santa.  Andrew went outside to spread the reindeer food that he and Michael had brought home from school.  Lily wrote a note (shocker) to Santa.  "TO SATA  I LOVE YOU"  Andrew wrote a novel about being good and taking care of the reindeer, etc etc.  They all went to bed easily (it was way past their bedtimes).  We made sure to tell them all that they could come get us at 6 (as if), but if they woke Grandma and Grandpa up before that, there would be a penalty, and we wouldn't open gifts until 7.

I went and played in the bell choir for the 11pm service.  I ditched early to try and catch some shut-eye before the kiddos woke up.

Fast forward (but not much) to 5:30am.  We hear Andrew open his door and stumble downstairs...as quiet as a herd of elephants.  He comes barreling back up and barges into our bedroom saying, "I don't care about the penalty, I'll take the penalty, I GOT A HAMSTER FOR CHRISTMAS!!!  SANTA BROUGHT ME A HAMSTER!!!"  Michael and Lily got up right about then (I can't imagine how they knew Andrew was awake), and we proceeded to stall in our bed for a few minutes.  We got Grandma and Grandpa up and started the present opening.

We succeeded in taking turns opening gifts, and the kids were all super excited to watch each other open gifts...although not as excited as opening their own, of course.  They got lots of loot and were totally spoiled, although I'd say Lily kind of got the raw end of the deal.  All she asked for from Santa was a Fijit...so she got it, but it is totally stupid and a waste of time.  So bummer for her.  Maybe next year she'll ask for something cool instead of some dumb robot toy.  :)

I was spoiled rotten...Jeff got me a trip to California to visit my friend Pamela in May...they plotted together to pick a good time and it's all booked and ready to go.  My in-laws got me another Kindle...the new paperwhite one.  You know, because my Fire is stolen by my kids all the time and doesn't work outside or in the glare of the car.  How ridiculous is that?  But I'm not returning it, and I love it so much. :)  And my Kindles talk to each other, so if I'm reading a book, it will always be on the right page, no matter which device I last read on.  Cool.  And my in-laws got Jeff and I tickets to see our favorite comedian...babysitting included.  Plus I got sweaters and workout clothes and blueberry tea (that Michael picked out).

Jeff got 3 cans of pumpkin from Michael (because Daddy likes to make pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread and pumpkin pancakes), a pair of fleece pajama pants with footballs on it from Lily (because he likes to stay warm and he likes football), and Andrew got Jeff lots of Kcup varieties for his morning coffee.  Jeff got expensive gifts and then put the kids names on it.  Cheater.  I call cheating!  He got himself a new iPod touch and I got him a computer bag a few weeks ago, when I thought he was going to France.  Cheater.

It was lovely.  It is 2pm, and the kids are all still in their pj's.  They have been candy grazing all day and getting along, sharing all their new toys very graciously with each other.  It's lovely.  Just wonderfully lovely.

Tomorrow we are supposed to drive to Ohio.  But it's supposed to freezing rain in the mountains.  And then snow and be very windy.  -sigh-

1 comment:

CARRIE said...

I'll take the penalty! (I LOVE THIS.)