Wednesday, February 06, 2013

A good boy

Last week, after finishing his homework and then dinner, Andrew suddenly announced that he needed to call his friend Ben, "About something that happened at school today."

Andrew is not a phone person...in fact, I can't remember a single other time he has ever asked to call someone for something other than inviting them over to play.  So of course I said yes.  And of course I eavesdropped on his conversation.

I'm so glad I did.  Because it was the cutest thing EVER.

Andrew-- "Hi...Ben?  Yah, I just called to talk about how we got in trouble today in the hall for talking?  I want to try and come up with a plan so we don't get in trouble again.  Do you have any ideas?"

-pause for Ben's response-

Andrew--"That's a good idea.  Or maybe we could come up with some hand signals or something.  Then if one of us feels like we're talking too much, we can just signal each other."

-pause for Ben-

Andrew-- "Yah, or we could not stand next to each other if we're feeling really silly and talkative."

-pause for Ben-

Andrew-- "Okay.  Good.  I just really don't like getting in trouble, do you?"

-pause for Ben-

Andrew-- "Great.  Hey, I got to a new level on Skylanders this weekend..."

And then they chatted for a few moments about boy stuff before hanging up.

This is what happens when 2 goody-two-shoes get married and have babies.  You get the ultimate goody-tow-shoes.  I am so grateful that Andrew has this good friend who does not mock him for calling to discuss not getting yelled at.  That listens and suggests ideas.  Although when I told Jeff this story, he said, "Hand signals?  How about just NOT TALKING?  Wouldn't that be simpler?"

My little nerdlinger.  And his fellow nerdlinger friends.  Love them.

3 comments:

CARRIE said...

Oh that is priceless. It's a good thing nerds marry each other and have babies.

bluedaisy said...

Such good problem-solving skills at such a young age! I was definitely a goody-goody but I don't think I could have articulated a "behave better" plan, let alone called a friend to coordinate efforts. He's so awesome!!

Lauren Knight said...

This warms my heart! What a sweet boy!