Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

I was really excited about this year. I thought that Andrew would be ALL ABOUT Santa and presents, etc. But we're just not quite there. He won't go near the man in the red suit (although all he wanted to get Jeff was a red shirt and red pants...not one or the other...both or nothing). He doesn't want anything for Christmas and he isn't interested in giving anything for Christmas either. I mean, he just had a birthday...he really doesn't need anything.

And as I am watching my MIL unload all the gifts for him after I have already spread presents under the tree and I remember all the gifts waiting back in PA that my parents sent ahead, I realize a few things. 1) I don't need to buy the boy anything, the grandparents (especially Grandma) have got it covered and 2) he really doesn't need anything. It feels like we are trying our hardest to make this boy a greedy, materialistic little thing, but all he wants is a football and someone to run around and play with him. I look at all the gifts I bought him that he doesn't need or want, and I wonder if maybe I've been misdirected somewhere. Why buy all these things? I am setting myself up for greedy Christmases in the future. If he is happy with just a few things, why not set that as the standard? Maybe use the money we save on presents to take a family trip. The memories from that kind of thing will far outweigh the value of these little trinkets.

The problem? He is so much fun to shop for. I get frustrated sometimes at how much STUFF Andrew has...but I understand why he has it. He is just so fun to shop for. It's not fun to shop for adults. How many dress shirts and hankerchieves can you really get excited about buying? But shopping for kids recalls memories of our Christmases in the past. When your gifts were to be played with and cherished...not just stashed in a closet for the next fancy event. So it is hard to limit myself...especially when I'm out shopping. And I would feel guilty forever if I asked my in-laws or my parents to limit themselves...how can I take that joy away from them?

I'm just hoping that next year, the wealth of gifts will be divided between Lily and Andrew...not multiplied by 2. My kids really DON'T need a lot of things...it's the experiences that really count. And hopefully next year the magic of Santa will visit our house. Because Andrew could just care less this year. ;)

Merry Christmas, friends!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I was hopeful that the wealth of gifts be spread amongst the 2 kids but it is not. It was double this year!!! I have no idea where it is all going to go...
Have a safe trip home!