Monday, December 25, 2006

The making of Christmas memories

Ah, it was a Christmas to remember. Lily slept from 10pm until 6am...for the 3rd night in a row. What a lovely present from my 2nd born! As I was feeding her at dawn, I was so excited to think that in about an hour, Andrew would be tearing open gifts. Lily fell back to sleep with a tummy full of warm yummy milk, and I soon followed her to dream land.

Cut to me waking up at 8:30. No sounds. Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. At 8:45, my MIL comes in the room and tells me that Andrew won't get out of bed (they were sharing a room with him). Was he sick? Passed out?

No. When I went in, he told me that he didn't want Christmas. He just had a birthday, and he didn't need presents. We could go ahead and open our presents, but he didn't want to come out of his room. So I left him to grinch away Christmas morning. There was no way I was FORCING my child out of his bed.

WHAT???? By this time, everyone is up...my in-laws, my BIL and SIL. And we are of course waiting for the fun of Christmas...a little kid that would be crazy for presents. Apparently not at this house. My FIL declared that Andrew would grow up to be a priest. I thought we should all eat breakfast, but it seemed wrong to continue without Andrew. BTW...Lily was also still sleeping. Just weird. Andrew would open the door to his bedroom and peek out, but the minute he saw someone, he'd slam the door shut. He REFUSED to come out.

Finally at 9:15, Jeff convinced Andrew to come out and eat breakfast. No talk of presents or Santa. No pressure. Just one step at a time. Eat a waffle. That's not so bad. Now look in the living room. Okay. Oh look, Santa left a note. That's kind of interesting. Huh! Santa likes his milk cold. Good to know. What? There are presents for other people? Okay. I'll pass those out. This isn't too bad.

We finally cajoled Andrew into passing out gifts to others. He was very excited to pass them out. Jeff would hand him a present and Andrew would ask, "What's this one about?" then call for the person it was to. The cutest was one time Jeff said it was for Andrew and Andrew called out, "Andrew? This is for Andrew" before realizing what he was saying.

Andrew opened a few gifts and then played. We all finished WAY before him, because he had about 4 times the number of gifts. But we trudged through them, and I think Andrew was really having a good time by the end.

So that was Christmas. The other highlight was the gift that Grandpa picked out for Lily...all by himself. It was a huge penguin outfit...with a Christmas hat and scarf. It was on sale at Babies R' Us, and came with a card to fill out for Social Services. Kind of to save you the time filling out the paperwork when someone called them on you for actually dressing your baby in their torture device.

Anyway, it was a lovely day in the end. God bless children for making things unpredictable. Maybe next year Andrew will really enjoy Christmas. Or maybe I should enjoy this...he'll probably have me up at 5 am in a couple of years. ;)

No comments: