Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The joy of rain

I've said it before and I'll say it again...children make you appreciate the wonders of the world around you.

We were coming home from BJ's and it started to POUR. The garage has become our staging area for the trip, so I parked in the driveway and told the kids to get ready to run in the house. Andrew jumped out of the car like lightning and ran into the dry garage. Lily got pulled out of her car seat and then as I ran with her out of the rain, she looked me in the eye and asked if she could play in the rain.

And I said sure! why not! And I soon realized that I'd been spending so much time rushing OUT of the rain, that I'd forgotten how wonderful it is to get IN the clean fresh rain of summer and be totally and completely wet.


True to their personalities, Lily rejoiced in the cold rain and relished getting soaked to the bone while Andrew was less certain overall. He did let loose eventually...again true to form.
If ever there is a picture of pure joy...Lily putting her face up to the rain.

Andrew requested a similar shot taken of him when I got super excited about capturing the last shot. Not quite the same genuine emotion...but still pure Andrew.


Andrew starting to get into it...coaxed by his enthusiastic sister.

Soaking wet...and couldn't be happier.



Not an exciting video...but I thought I'd share it anyway. And Russians? I have no idea where that came from. Out of nowhere...that's where. Oh, and the 1year old was NOT so thrilled with the rain. Maybe next year...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky kids!

Michelle said...

Love the picture of Lily with her arms extended!

Michelle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Lily picture! How fun to play in the rain!

Joanne said...

I also LOVE the Lily picture! She looks so genuinely happy! What a great mama moment, too. I'm always the one trying to hustle everyone in. Maybe I'll take a page out of your book next time!

Kelsey said...

We have a series of playing in the rain pictures of Harper that I love - and yes, the Lily ones are precious! Good job Mom.

bluedaisy said...

I need to remember this spontaneous type of fun when I am getting all whacked out about things that aren't really important. Letting your kids enjoy life--that is one of the best things a parent can do :) Thanks for the inspiration- I need it right now :)

CARRIE said...

I wish I could find joy in the simplest things the way my kids do. A gift that we lose all too quickly in life.