Thursday, March 18, 2010

A brand new set of ears

Aack. Computer problems! But with a new router in place, hopefully we'll be good for a while.

Tuesday was the day Andrew got a brand new set of tubes for his ears. I've noticed him really struggling to hear the last month or so...so I was excited to have it done for his sake. And I spent so much time being non-chalant about it for HIM, that I don't think I addressed my own feelings of nervousness that my BABY was going under yet again. I didn't realize how tense I was about it until they called me back to the post op room and I got to stroke his little head and kiss his cheeks. Okay, stroke his ginormous head and kiss his bony little cheeks ;)

Anyway, it obviously went fine. Andrew had the doctors and nurses laughing the whole time. When he walked back to the procedure room (is it call and OR in outpatient places?) with the nurses, he was talking a mile a minute...not nervous at all. I guess once he was back there, he wanted to looking in the microscope and then asked what each and every machine was for. Then they knocked him out with the happy gas...I've got to look into getting some of that stuff for my crew. ;)

He awoke much more peacefully than last year. Last year he woke up violently thrashing and crying/sobbing hysterically. Jeff had to pick him up and rock him. But since he didn't need the "giggle juice" (separation anxiety meds they give before taking the kids back to the OR), I guess he had a totally different reaction. Just peacefully opened his eyes and looked around dazed-like. And after just a few minutes, he whispered, "Can I have a popsicle? I want a green one."

And then he explained to the nurse that he was trying to break his popsicle record...he'd eaten 3 in recovery last time, and he was determined to eat at least 4 this time. This was one of my primary distractions that I set up when talking to him about getting tubes put in.

He came home happy as a clam, and feeling so good that we were thinking about putting him on the bus at 12:50. But we were good parents and let him stay home. He hasn't had any pain killers and even in the first few hours was commenting on how loud things were. Lily and Michael were playing with toys and Andrew said, "Mom, we have some really loud toys in this house." Pretty cool.

A huge thank you to my friends that took Lily and Michael for the morning so that both Jeff and I could be with Andrew. They both did well and neither wanted to come home with me. Nice.

More blogging laters...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm really glad he's ok! We just had Addy's ears flushed at the doctor's office because she'd been having trouble hearing for a while, and her ears were SO plugged with wax you couldn't even see her eardrum! Thankfully there was no infection behind the wax, but man can you tell the difference! She keeps saying, "My mouth is so loud!" I think she could barely even hear herself talk for awhile there!