Friday, April 09, 2010

Two!

Once upon a time, there was a girl from the suburbs of Cincinnati who decided to follow in her parents' footsteps and go to college at their alma mater. While she was there, she fell in love with a cute boy with huge glasses from the middle of Ohio. After they were done studying and were given a piece of paper, the girl married this boy and they moved to a land far far away.

After a little while, they had a (not so)little baby boy. As he grew up, he delighted them with his belly laughs and inquiring mind and beautiful blue eyes. He was a kind and good boy, and the parents could wish for nothing more in life.

Until a little while later, when they had a little baby girl. And she delighted them with her singing voice and smiling eyes and independent spirit. She was a funny and loving girl, and the parents could wish for nothing more in life.

The parents were utterly and completely content. They envisioned a happy and perfect life as a family of 4.

Until they saw a little plus sign on a little stick one hot August night. And the girl from Cincinnati cried and the boy from Mt. Vernon cried...because they did not understand why this had happened. Their family was perfect and complete! Why did they need this 3rd baby? How would it fit in?

And despite their fears and doubts, they had another little baby boy. And he delighted them with his sweet pouty lips and tender demeanor and cuddles upon cuddles. He was a sweet and easy-going boy and his parents could not imagine how they had ever thought their family was complete without him.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael turning two is a milestone of sorts for our family. Two years ago, as Jeff and I struggled to balance 3 small children, we set a time to look forward to. If we could just SURVIVE the first 2 years, then things were bound to get easier. If we could just KEEP THE CHILDREN FED AND ALIVE for 2 years, then things would probably look up. And that was our light at the end of the tunnel.

And here we are. With my baby turning 2. And the truly amazing thing is? We've enjoyed (almost) every minute of the last 2 years. We set our goal post way too far in the future. And if you ever have had the pleasure of being with my Michael, you'd quickly see why it didn't take 2 years for things to start getting fun. He is hilarious and endearing and flirty and so so so different from the first two kids. I find myself wanting to just cover him in kisses and squeeze him I love him so much.

My position on child spacing hasn't changed. I think you must be crazy to have kids 18 months apart. There are many things about it that I find challenging and frustrating. But if that was what it took for me to get Michael...I'd do it again every single time.

I love you Mikey! I can't believe that you are two...

6 comments:

bluedaisy said...

I just love this...it is so sweet how you captured the uniqueness of each of your children. Happy Birthday Michael!!

memere said...

Now you know why I snickered when you announced you were pregnant. Because I KNEW, I KNEW how much you would love your surprise. Michael is the icing on the cake. How sweet he is! How could we ever live without him? Happy Birthday my love.

Joanne said...

Awwww! Happy birthday, Mikey!

d e v a n said...

So sweet! Happy birthday to your sweet surprise.

CARRIE said...

Ya know, when you announced your surprise pregnancy, I sometimes wished I would have a surprise. And the gods answered my prayers in their funny, mischievous way, spacing my boys 2 years apart (which was at least 1.5 years closer than I ever would have done it on my own.)

And now, 6 months in, I can't imagine our family without M. We adore him. So I understand the goal of 2 years being way far out.

Bonus babies are the best!!! Happy, happy birthday Michael! It is good to be loved!

LisaP said...

I love that story. Happy Birthday Mikey.