Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Four

Lily is 4 today. Four.

(As a side note, that means we have survived have a 2 and a 3 year old at the same time. Woo-hoo! And I only have one more 3 year old to struggle through. I'm 2/3rds of the way finished with the terrible 3s! Double woo-hoo! )

How is it even possible that she has only been around 4 years? Her personality, her quirks, her opinions...they feel so ingrained that it cannot have been only 48 months ago she got here.

With Lily I will always have guilt. Guilt that I didn't want a girl to start with. Guilt that I was screaming obscenities as she took her first breath. Guilt that I was totally wrapped up in moving during her first few months. Guilt that I was stricken with morning sickness and obsessed with baby #3 when she was only 10 months old. Guilt that I am too hard on her. Guilt that she is never alone with us. Guilt.

I hope that she grows up knowing how loved she is. That she is the child who is earning me my parenting stripes. That I wouldn't have it any other way, because her stubbornness and strong will and opinions make her unique and wonderful. That she is so beautiful sometimes it takes my breath away. And that I am frustrated I cannot capture that quality on film. Pictures don't do her justice.

As you can see, I couldn't pick just one picture each year of her life. I don't know what else to say. Happy birthday to my favorite girl. You make me a better mom and I love you to pieces every minute of every day. Even when I'm yelling ;)


Still safe and happy in my belly.
We had no idea what a sweet and powerful woman was about to join our ranks.


Just born!
Andrew is officially dethroned...this lady is in charge!
Last few days in her home state of Kentucky...
I'm a Philly girl now! Look how happy I am about it!
Lily requested that I put this photo in...Andrew was in love already...
Favorite Lily photo of all time:
I found out I was pregnant just days after this photo was taken. Look at what a baby she is. No wonder I was freaked out ;) On the move! She liked crawling so much she wouldn't walk until 8 months later.
Seriously couldn't pick just one photo... but there are none that I could find of her 1st birthday. -guilt-
Lily at 2 years old!

Lily at 3 years old!

Lily at almost 4!
I swear I put more of the recent shots in...I think Blogger ate them. I'll try and get some good shots at her birthday ;)

6 comments:

d e v a n said...

oh my goodness - the one with the sticky up hair?! PRECIOUS!
Happy 4th!`

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday Miss. Lily!!!
That hair! Those cheeks! Oh my!
Also, I have the same girl/middle child guilt issues but I have to tell you that 4 is the year that Rachel and I started to become buddies :)

nicole said...

I have a Lily too and it sounds as though she has a similar personality to yours.

bluedaisy said...

Beautiful girl!! I love these shots and because I am a sucker for a newborn, I love that one the best. She is awesome & that one of Andrew with her in the crib? Priceless!!

Anonymous said...

I still remember the day you called to tell me you were pregnant with #3. You were so worried and scared but you've handled it beautifully! You are such a great mom. Don't let the guilt eat you up! And Lily will always feel special because she's the only girl ;)

Happy 4th Lily!!!

CARRIE said...

My mind was blown by how little Andrew looks in the pics with Lily. He's all big kid....thinned down....just not right for him to be so grown up.
I had to sniff a little at the pics from your Louisville home.....
I remember having dinner with Miss Lily when she was like a minute old at Buca di Beppo.