Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Heard around here...

Michael is going in for his 2 1/2 year old appointment next week. I am going to ask for a speech evaluation referral. He is progressing...just more slowly than I think he should.

Now, having said that, you should HEAR him when his siblings aren't around. 3 days a week, for a little over 2 hours, Michael has me all to himself. And he NEVER. SHUTS. UP. He points out letters in the grocery store, and talks about the cars he sees on the road. He does the motions for songs in the car. And the minute Lily is back with us...she's interrupting him or talking for him, etc etc. It is abundantly clear why this boy is behind in his verbal communication.

He does have some new things he is saying:

"No I Not!" In response to anything...Michael put on your shoes, "No I Not". Michael please get off the table, "No I Not". Michael did you hit your sister, "No I Not." You get the idea.

"Whaaaaat?" In response to any question Lily asks him...and only Lily so far. She'll call out, "Michael!" and he'll yell back, "Whaaaaat?"

"Sink Bu" Pointing out each and every stink bug that is clinging to our screens and in our house. When we flick them off or catch them and flush them, he cheers and stomps his feet in joy.

Jeff carried him upstairs the other night to put him to bed.

"Michael, are you my baby?"

"No!"

"Are you a big boy?"

"No! I a GIANT me!"


And not to be left out;

Andrew was scribbling on the windows with window crayons (worst. invention. ever.). I commented, "Andrew, do you think you could draw an actual picture and show your brother and sister that they don't have to just scribble?"

Andrew responses calmly and respectfully, "You know, Mom, artists don't always draw objects. Sometimes they make art with colors and patterns and things."



And one more:

Lily came out of the bathroom that same day while Andrew and Michael were scribbling on the windows. She stood there half naked, holding her underpants and skirt in her hand, cocked her head to the side, and said, "Awwww. Look at those boys playing nice together. So cute."

4 comments:

Aunt Sara said...

Do we have a little Jackson Pollock on our hands, or just a boy who is too smart for his own good? ;)

d e v a n said...

how cute!

bluedaisy said...

Love, love, love all the quotes! I think I might adopt "No I Not" as my response to the millions of requests I get per day. The 'giant me' is my fave. And Andrew's response about artists? Love him! And then Lily? Such a sister, right? I laughed at them all!
As for the speech eval, well, you know me well enough to know my philosophy on these things- best case, you find out he is on track & now you have a baseline of his speech abilities. Worst case? A little speech therapy never hurt anybody. Liam has been going for articulation & he loves it! It's like his own special thing. And I am starting to see improvements.

Anonymous said...

Your kids crack me up! Zander does the same thing to Bryn. He says "Whaaat?" even though Bryn is right next to him and he can clearly hear what she is saying. Drives her nuts...which is exactly why Zander does it :)