Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Recycled Birthday

Finally...a recap of Michael's 3rd birthday. It was a...well, a very earth friendly birthday. A few weeks ago, Jeff found a box in the basement filled with Andrew's toys from when he was 3. And we had thought they were lost or donated or something. Voila! Michael's birthday presents were done! And no money spent. He was thrilled. He did get new gifts from Andrew and Lily. Lily picked out a Dora backpack for him. Which was probably more for herself, but I let her get it because Michael loves Dora too. She was under strict instructions to let him play with it first. That lasted about 2 minutes. Andrew got him sidewalk chalk...which has already been used and enjoyed. We videoed the opening of gifts, so the pictures are just from the playing afterward.
Andrew's old Take and Go Thomas set. A big hit.
Seen here is Andrew's old Shake and Go Speedway. The biggest hit of the day, although we don't have pictures of Mikey playing with it. Odd.
Lily and Andrew enjoying the Tool Bench thingy...taken from a friend when she was cleaning out her child's toys. I'm telling you...all recycled gifts and Michael doesn't know the difference!

Then we had the cake. My most successful to date. And I felt bad that we weren't having any party for Mike. There is such birthday party pressure! I'm telling you! But he had a blast. He didn't have to share his new toys with anyone (except his siblings), no one else tried to snatch his presents and open them for him (except his siblings), and no one else tried to blow out his candles (except his siblings). Wait. I just realized by having a brother and sister he had a built in b-day party ;)

6 comments:

Aunt Sara said...

Great timing finding those toys!

Anonymous said...

I agree, birthday parties are so much pressure! And yay for recycled toys! Looks like Michael had a great 3rd birthday :)

d e v a n said...

I'm glad he had a great birthday!

Kelsey said...

AWESOME! It is great that you didn't end up buying all new toys - especially since he doesn't know the difference! And I'm not that big of a cake fan, but that cake looks delicious.

bluedaisy said...

That cake is my favorite combo- yellow with chocolate icing-yum! I might have to bake one SOON! So glad Michael had such a fantastic birthday. I love the recycled toy idea too- less expensive and just as fun! My brother is almost 9 years older than me and I always loved finding one of his toy treasures in our attic. Happy THREE Michael!!

CARRIE said...

How stinkin' awesome to find those toys!!!! Still can't believe that kid is 3!