Thursday, April 28, 2011

A well-visit, a conference, a confession...oh my!

Michael had his 3 year old well visit yesterday. We saw our favorite doctor again. The one who patted me on the back as I sobbed in her office 3 years ago when she told me Michael was failing to thrive on my breast milk. The one who supported my desire to nurse anyway. The one who is kind and reasonable and non-judgemental. You know, that one. She chucked as she looked at his chart and said, "Well, my failure-to-thrive baby is 75th percentile for weight and 90th for height!"

He was still a little traumatized by the whole popcorn up the nose incident and struggled to let her look in his mouth and ears. But overall he was a good boy. He has a plantar's wart on his toe that is gross. He still has speech issues. But he is a sweet, healthy little guy.

When Jeff got home from work Michael told him, "I go to dock-er. I get a SHA! I so sceer." (I go to doctor. I got a shot. I so scared.) He's really having little conversations with us now. Yesterday he called me over to his train set and handed me a fire engine freight car that he got for his birthday. He told me, "Dis train too loud for dis roo. Take it away, it annoy me." (this train is too loud for this room. take it away, it annoys me).

He's also adding more and more endings on his words. Okay, so he's putting /s/ on the end. But with plurals, that equals a lot of words. We're now 3 1/2 weeks past his IEP meeting, and I still haven't been contacted by his new speech therapist. I've been e-mailing and calling my one and only contact at the IU, and she has not responded even once. I'm a little peeved, to say the least.


Today I had a conference with Lily's teachers. Just a routine one, no major issues. As expected, she is fabulous and helpful and agreeable and will do anything they ask her. They showed me a cirle that she cut out, despite the fact that when we try to cut together, she gets frustrated and refuses to open and shut the scissors. The said she balances on one foot quite well. My child? She can barely balance on TWO feet at our house. Whatev'. We'll love her anyway...she's got to impress at school.

I am frequently overwhelmed by what a good friend she is lately, though. We had our neighbor over Tuesday afternoon, and they came inside after getting scared by a bee. Lily turned to her friend and said, "I know! Let's go...no, wait, what do YOU want to do next, Ali?" What 4 year old is that considerate? There are teenagers that don't think to ask their friends what they want to do next. Heck, adults don't always do it. Sweet little thing.


Finally, it feels like around the blogs I read I've given a few confessions lately. Like bad parenting moment confessions (isn't that what this blog is for?) and sugar addiction confessions. We all know I have bad parenting issues...but I am starting to get quite worried about my sugar addiction. Last month I was actually buying bags of those chocolate eggs and then hiding them and eating the whole bag in a day or 2. And then I'd just think about the next shopping trip where I could buy them again. And if I didn't have anything in the house, I'd be stealing kids' fruit snacks...which I don't even like. It's sad and disgusting and it's time to stop. So May 1st, I'm having an intervention. Like Lent...except just for me. I'm prepared for headaches and sleepiness and general crabbiness. Sounds like a great blogging week, for sure. ;)

5 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Love the growing boy and Lily's sweetness towards her friend!! Hoping that the IU contacts you soon. Liam's speech teacher is leaving and I'm wondering how our transition will go. The next 2 weeks will tell us! I'm doing better with my soda addiction- lots better actually. I didn't fulfill my intention to give it up entirely during Lent BUT that did give me the motivation to cut down significantly. I was drinking 2-3 sodas per day (in addition to my morning coffee and occassional evening tea). Now I don't drink soda daily...I'd estimate 4-5 days of the week and generally one per day. So, it's not perfect but it's much better! Good luck with your efforts :) You can totally do it!!

Sarah said...

Oh my, I was hiding chocolate too, girl! I kept mine in the car! Lord, that's so embarrassing to admit to anyone, but yeah, I felt ridiculous bringing any more crap into the house so I'd just keep bags of Dove in the console of the van and nibble on it while I was out doing afternoon errands so I didn't crash and get sleepy.
Oh, I kept driving through McDonalds and getting those devilish mocha frappes, too. So! Good!
Anyways, good luck... I'm feeling much better today, day four. I think the third day was the worst. Today I only thought about candy/brownies a little bit. I also gave in a bit and let myself eat peanut butter today, on some crunchy celery sticks. I know peanut butter has sugar in it, but I wanted some protein and I was sick of cheese sticks! And like I said, this "diet" isn't about fat or calories, so I wasn't going to fret about that part. And man was that peanut butter soothing... so may I suggest eating a bit of it each day to ease yourself through the initial shock of no sweets?

CARRIE said...

I have been trying to cut way back on sugar because my A1C # is in the high-risk range, which I knew from having gestational diabetes with N. But eating chocolate every night before bed certainly wasn't helping anything.
Chocolate simply makes life enjoyable. And it makes having three kids, one of whom is 3 and bat-shit nuts, tolerable.

Anonymous said...

Michael's sentences are great! The train annoys him...lol! I used to have Oreos or brownies EVERY night after the kids went to bed. It was my reward for making it through the day. Why oh why does sugar have to taste so heavenly but be not so good for us?! When I stopped that bad habit I went through chocolate withdrawals for two weeks. Then I discovered dark chocolate soy milk...satisfied my cravings without the guilt. May the force be with you my friend :)

Kelsey said...

Oh I wonder how the sugar thing is going? I'm completely addicted to soda/pop. Right now I'm really working hard to integrate exercise into my daily routine - and with some success! I'm tackling one thing at a time. Soda is next...

Go Michael! He's bigger than my Michael - which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. :-) Actually they are probably close in weight but your Michael is taller. It cracks me up that he said the train "annoys" him - that's some great vocabulary! These late-speaking boys have been teasing us

The comment about Lily not being able to balance on two feet is hilarious - love her. I really love all your kids and wish you lived much closer? Cincy get together this summer?