Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Another first day

On Monday, Michael had his first real day of pre-school at his new school.  I have been mildly concerned about the hecticness of drop-off.  Lily's bus was due at our stop at 12:44...and Michael's school starts at 12:45.  So I had talked to the teachers about him being a little late...but if you know me at all, you know I HATE being late.  Even a minute.

All things are shining in my favor this year, however.  On Monday, Lily's bus driver got to our neighborhood quite early and let us parents know that she was going to have to start coming earlier.  So now the bus will come at 12:35.  Problem solved.

Michael had no problem going to school.  Everyone else is in school, so why not?  Last year, Lily got to come home with me while he got left behind.  That was hard.  This year everyone else is gone, he has had all morning to play with his sibilings and home is getting a bit boring, he is not rushed, etc etc.  I wish I had thought of all these things and done afternoon pre-school before :)







Our old school used to do circle time first, so the kids would just sit on the mat and wait for all the kids to arrive.  Lots of time to think about the fact that Mom just abandoned you to strangers.  This school has activities set up to do immediately.  Who cares about Mom?  There are blocks to build with!  Such a simple difference, with such wonderful results.  I like this new school already.

And then on Tuesday, when he doesn't have school, Michael was very very sad he didn't get to go back.  He keeps telling me that he really likes his school.  Which makes me enjoy my free afternoons a whole lot more :)

3 comments:

Jayme said...

Super cute pictures! Jase is also doing afternoon preschool this year and starts at 1245pm. Weird time to start, right?

Kathy C. said...

He's gorgeous.

Emily said...

I'm having a similar issue with drop off times and it's really bugging me that David has to be (less than 5 minutes) late to preschool most days. (Katy can't be dropped off until 8:55 and his school starts at 9 and is about a 7 minute drive away) The teachers keep assuring me it's fine, but they are waiting for him everyday to start and it makes me feel bad. I need to relax.

I like that both of the teachers are on their knees in the last picture - that's a good sign :) .