Saturday, September 08, 2012

First week

I've been having technical difficulties with photo downloading on Blogger, but here is a report of the first week of school...finally.

Last Tuesday, Andrew got up and got ready and left.  A third grader.






Lily, Michael and I waved goodbye, and then twiddled our thumbs waiting for 12:45 when Lily would get to go to school...on the bus...for the first time.  Actually, our neighbors kind of followed us home from the bus stop, and provided a great distraction for a little while.  I had told Lily that she wouldn't get to go to school until after lunch, which led to this conversation:  "Mom?  Can I have lunch so that I can go to school?"

Finally it was time.  And she was so ready.  No tears.  No fears.  Just pure excitement.






Michael was less than thrilled to have to walk down to the bus stop so frequently.  3 times a day...about 3 hours between each trip.  Next week we won't walk Andrew in the morning, so that will help.
 That first day, Michael and I spent the afternoon baking and hanging out.  Next week he will start pre-school, so this was kind of a bonus week with my Mikey.

The hardest part for me was when they both barreled off the bus, desperate to tell me about their day.  I had to basically shush one while the other spoke.  It's hard to balance listening to each at the same time.  I will learn...I'm still new at this.

The rest of the week went well.  Andrew was tired and excited and tired.  He cried for a half hour about our frog dying.  He died 2 weeks ago, and Andrew didn't seem to care...but whatever.  He was really excited about having to pick out a password for computers.  Simple pleasures.  :)

Lily had a blast.  She told me once that she was bored, but I explained that the first few weeks are really boring because you have to learn the rules and how the classroom works.  She was also having meltdowns left and right about really ridiculous things.  Tired.  She also started tap/jazz class and found out the class is composed of 5 other afternoon kindergartners at her school.  Awesome.  Friday was gymnastics for the first time since last spring.  Tomorrow she will go back to Sunday School after a summer hiatus, and she will have her first ever soccer practice/game.  It has been a big big week for my Lily.  And she has handled it like a champ.  It is good to be almost 6 when there is this much change happening :)

Michael missed his sister.  He was also busy in the mornings with us...he takes gymnastics with her.  Afternoons were harder.  One afternoon he requested to go to the mall and ride the escalators.  So we did.  About 20 times in a row.  Anyone watching us would have thought we were crazy.  But he was giggling and having a blast.  Free fun.  One thing...he never shut up the whole time Lily was gone.  I swear, this child has been stifled by that older sister :)

Next week, Michael starts school.  We met his teachers and visited his classroom on Friday, and he was comfortable right away.  I think he'll have a great year.  I miss our old pre-school, so the adjustment may be greater for me than for him at this point.

Oh.  And while he's in pre-school?  I'll be all by myself.

4 days a week.

2 hours a day.

Holy crap.

No comments: