Friday, November 30, 2012

Discussions about Santa

With Andrew at our solo donut breakfast this week:

Me:  So, do you and your friends ever talk about Santa?
Andrew: Nah.  Not really.
-pause in conversation-
A: I have 3 theories about Santa.
Me: Really?
A: Number 1- Santa brings the presents.  Number 2- Some other magical force brings the presents.  Number 3: You and Dad bring the presents.
Me:  Wow.  Those are 3 very conflicting theories.
A: Yah.  Right now Number 1 is the most believable.  Number 3 is the least likely.


Jeff and I agreed that if he asked any questions about Santa this year, we would come clean.  But I have a feeling he won't be asking any questions.  He's got it all figured out in his head somehow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My parents and I took Lily and Michael to sit on Santa's lap Monday morning.  It was the first year ever that Michael just hopped up on Santa's lap and cooperated.  The Santa was a little dazed and forgot to ask the kids what they wanted...the photo elf had to remind him to ask.  Nice.

Later that day, Lily and I had this conversation:

Lily: Mom?  Is the Santa at the mall the REAL Santa?
Me:  No, of course not.  We've talked about this before.  Santa hires helpers to dress up like him and gather information.  He just is too busy to be at every mall.  So he depends on his helpers to find out what you want and then give him the info.
Lily:  I didn't think that Santa was real.  When I was 4, I thought it was the real Santa, but now I know the real Santa is very busy.  Do you think he heard what I said to tell Santa?
Me: Maybe...he seemed to have a hard time hearing, didn't he.
Lily:  Yah.  Maybe we should send a letter just in case.

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

Aw, that's too cute!

CARRIE said...

N told me last night, "Some kids think that moms and dads bring the presents, but I believe in all the holiday characters." And I'm glad.