Thursday, November 15, 2012

One sport at a time...

I have always said that the kids will be a "one sport at a time" kind of kids.  I watch other families ship their kids from one practice to another...often overlapping.  Yuck.

But here we are.  Soccer is over.  Except that there is this intramural tournament.  Each coach of the 3rd grade intramurals got to pick their 3 best players to play.  Andrew was picked, but I wasn't even going to tell him and decline because travel basketball has started up.  But Jeff thought it would be really good for Andrew's self-esteem and confidence playing if he knew and played in the tournament.  He's right of course, but the overlapping practices are driving me crazy.

Here's how our evening have been this week:

Sunday:  late afternoon basketball practice for the travel basketball team
Monday: swim lessons after school for Michael and Lily.  Those are over pretty early, but messed with dinner making.
Tuesday: soccer practice for Andrew from 7-8.  Imagine how cold it was.  Insanity.
Wednesday: basketball practice for travel basketball 6:30-8
Thursday: Michael's school has a little harvest social...he'll sing and then we'll have snacks.  6:30-8
Friday: Andrew has another soccer practice from 6-8.  There is also the school book fair at Barnes and Noble from 6-8.
Saturday: All day soccer tournament.  All.  Day.  8-3.  Ugh.  He will be missing basketball clinics for the intramural basketball that he is required to play in while playing travel.

Add this into Jeff having an incredibly stressful and busy week at work.  Add in that my younger two are used to going to bed between 7 and 7:30.  Add in that my car desperately needs an oil change and the driver side window fixed (keeps leaking on me).  Which they can't/won't fix on the weekend, so I have to schlep myself to the shop and shuttle back home...and hope that Jeff gets home in time for us to go get the van before Michael's harvest social tonight.  Not going to happen.  Which means I've got to bribe a friend to take me Friday morning.

Whatever.  Next week will be better, right?  Oh, wait.  It's Thanksgiving week.  HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN?  I've really got to get some presents for Andrew.  Yikes.

Deep breaths.  And don't remind me that I only have one child in sports so far.  This will not be possible with 3 kids.  Then they will HAVE to choose one sport.  And forget tournaments or travel teams.  It is simply ridiculous!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

It's possible. Hectic but possible :)
Oh and there is ALWAYS an overlap!
Currently we have:
Mon - SCouts for Ryan & Rachel (every other week for Daisies)
Weds: Ryan play rehearsal at 6, Rachel violin at 7:15 and Ryan choir (across town) at 7:30
Saturday: Rachel & Joey gymnastics (blissfully at the same time).
This is on top of both of us working full time, Rob having choir every Sunday and I have had at least 1, if not 2, PTA events every week this month. JOey commented we should sleep in the van because we are in it so much!

Pamela said...

I felt the beginnings of an anxiety attack as I read your schedule/to-do list! The oh-so-familiar tightening of my chest and feeling like I can't breathe as I wonder how in the world I'm going to get everything done and everyone where they need to be. Then I tell myself to take a deep breath and just take it one hour at a time. And each day that I survive I reward myself with a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie and a few minutes of getting lost in a good book :)

CARRIE said...

D and I have this discussion all the time. N has asked to do cross-country a few times, but I've told her she can't. We have piano lessons on Mondays and twice a month she has Girl Scouts on Wednesday. I think I wouldn't be so down on sports if they could just meet up, practice for a half hour and play a game. But cross country meets 2-3 times a week plus a meet. I cannot wrap my mind around how we'd manage that.....with our other obligations. Plus, if N doesn't get 11+ hours of sleep a night, she is an absolute bear.
I feel badly about not letting her, but I don't think she realizes what a drain and a drag it would be on all of us.