Monday, January 06, 2014

Happy New Year

Well, we had a lovely time visiting family in Ohio.  We were there for just 5 days, and then rushed back for the start of school on January 2nd.  Only to have a snow day on January 3rd.  Ah, well.

The first few days in Ohio, we spent with Jeff's family.  Everybody was home, and we had a great time hanging out with family.  There were extended family gatherings each night, and by the time we left we were mentally and emotionally exhausted.  Shadow was literally curled up under the Christmas tree where no one could reach her, and she snapped at Jeff when he got near her.  She was DONE.  :)  Luckily, we were able to rest up well each night, since Jeff's parents gave us their bedroom.  That's right...Linda took the couch.  Ridiculous.  She made sure to not tell me until it was almost too late to protest.  Crazy woman.  We did sleep well, though.

We also enjoyed a baby shower for Jeff's sister.  Lily was the cutest, gimpiest helper ever!  I had a few heart to heart conversations with my niece, and she even kicked me a couple of times.  She even revealed that she liked the name Ava the best (of her clueless aunt and uncle's guesses).  Lily told me later, "I'm going to have to have a talk with Sara's belly later.  I'm not convinced her name is Ava."   A huge thanks to Sara for being patient as we got all handsy with her abdomen.

As we first walked in the door, I forget who, but someone announced that Chad and Monica were vying for favorite aunt and uncle this year...and least favorite brother and sister-in-law.  Lily opened her gift from Chad and Monica (a box larger than her), and revealed her 5ft tall dolphin plush toy.  Um hmm.  That's right.  She was, of course, thrilled.  Jeff started breaking out in a sweat trying to figure out where exactly that was going to fit in the car on the ride home.  Then Michael opened his gift, a set of Skylander boxing gloves.  Um hmm.  That's right.  He was, of course, thrilled.  Although as he was putting them on, he got a silly grin on his face and said, "You probably shouldn't have gotten me these."

Then we were off to Westerville to hang with my side of the family.  Jeff, Andrew, and my Dad went down to see a Dayton basketball game the first night, so it was just Dave, Andrea and the rest of our crew.  We had Skyline, played lots of games, and generally listened to the kids playing upstairs in the rec room.  Lovely.  The next day, we drove over to my older sister's neck of the woods, where she took us all pottery painting.  Everyone had a great time...it was Michael's first time and he really enjoyed it!  Oh!  And we went to the Wendy's flagship store, where they had these space age pop machines.  While we were all in awe, apparently the Ohio peeps were all, "Whatever!  Old news!"  Who knew that Ohio was on the cutting edge of soda pop technology!

After pottery painting, we headed back to my parents and had a lovely dinner, watched a movie, opened a few more gifts, and generally just enjoyed each others' company.  We kicked everyone out early, because we had to leave so early the next morning.

And then we go back here.  In time for cold temps and 8 inches of snow.  Whew!  Bring on the rest of winter!


4 comments:

Emily said...

Is it your younger sister who lives in Westerville? I wonder how close she is to me...

Aunt Sara said...

I don't mind letting my fam get handsy with my belly. I loved how each of the kiddos talked to the baby, even though they felt silly talking at my stomach. :)

CARRIE said...

I think it is funny that you call it soda pop.
I've always called it Coke.
Sprite=Coke
Pepsi=Coke
Big Red=Coke

bluedaisy said...

Sounds like a great trip! Oh and we have the space age pop (soda!) machines at the newest Wendy's in our area (in a little place called Lionville).