Sunday, February 10, 2008

Exposure

I sometimes worry that by living in Whitey-town USA, the closest thing to a minority group that Andrew will be exposed to are Jewish-Americans. And they are hardly a minority group here. I worry about him gawking at Asian- and African-Americans. But I never thought about needing to expose him to short people.

We went to the Aquarium this morning. A VERY short woman was scanning the tickets as you walk in. Probably under 5 foot. Not a little person (AKA. dwarf). Just a very short person.

Just inside the door, Andrew turns to me and says, "I didn't know they let kids work at the aquarium."

I giggle despite myself. And say, "That wasn't a kid, Andrew. That was a grown-up."

He thinks hard for a moment and responds, "Oh. Well, maybe she just drank a lot of coffee when she was a little girl."

Hmmm, when should I dispell this myth that I've been perpetuating? It was such a convenient way to deter Andrew from drinking coffee. But I think we're entering the danger zone where he accuses every short adult of drinking it as a child. Or proclaiming that they ARE a child.

Aunt Andrea? We need you to make another visit so Andrew gets used to short people. ;)

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Aunt Sara would be happy to visit too...I'll just have to go buy some flats first.

Anonymous said...

Don't you know that short people are going to inherit the earth?

-Moira "5 ft 3 and a third" Johnson