Friday, February 15, 2008

Let's play pretend

Let's face it...my son's overabundant imagination can really get on my nerves. All he wants to do is play pretend games...as long as I'm involved. We have safari, neighbor, secret agent, doctor, vet, and war. Sounds like a lot of variety, eh? Not so much. They all involve a lot of introducing ourselves to each other with a lot of fast battles/action so I have to think of another scenario immediately (Mommy says, Let's build a tunnel into the castle to save the princess...Andrew says, "Okay, its done. Princess is saved. What's next Secret Agent?).

So if I now know that this is how great imaginations end up for me, why is it so endearing that Lily is starting to play pretend? She just seems too tiny to be doing this...it is hard to have a "normal" sized child after the Jolly Green Giant. I just remember Andrew being so much bigger at this age...and he was.

Lily ADORES playing doctor. She even says the word "Doctor" now. When Andrew asks to play it, I have no problem shooting him down. But when Lily says "Doctor?" and points into the toy room, I cannot resist. And she picks up the little body chart and points to different body parts while babbling away, she checks my ears with the little ear-checking thingy, she takes my temperature a zillion times (always removing it from my mouth and saying, "Ohhhhh."), and I get lots of shots on my face (I need Botox already?). And it is so endearing and cute. Poor Andrew. When he gives me shots in my ears I just get annoyed.

Today started another phase of imaginary play...the kind initiated and invented by Lily. See, she's watched Andrew and I play doctor a bunch...so she's really just imitating us when she is the doctor. But today we were at a friends house and she was sitting on my lap eating Goldfish crackers and holding a little plastic horse. All of a sudden I look down from my chatting to see Lily "feeding" the horse a cracker and saying, "Num-num-num". How sweet is that? And later she got down and picked up a baby doll, patted it on the back, then walked over to a stroller and put the baby in. She looked over at me and said, "Baby!" She's just becoming such a little girl!!! Where is the baby going?

-sigh- It's too bad that this will end up with endless games of "Mommy and Baby" or "Horse stables". I think I'll just sit back and enjoy her imagination while it's still cute.

5 comments:

CARRIE said...

I'm already going through similar things with G...like I say to N, "Mommy's tired. I need to rest," but then I start cooing and bouncing G. It is the excitement of doing things the 1st time with someone new. Kinda like sex with a new partner.... which made sense in my head but sounds really gross in terms of relating it to one's children. You know what I mean!

Annie said...

Think of it this way, Giselle...they can soon play pretend with each other...BY THEMSELVES! Or even include Baby #3! How sweet is that?

You'll be reading books all day in your pj's in no time. :)

Erin said...

Maybe you can start playing a pretend game about short people. That way you can accomplish some Short Person Exposure and also occupy his imagination. Pretend everything around you is BIG and you are tiny. Of course this might backfire out in public.

HawleyFamily said...

Are you just having TOO much fun in your new car to post on here? :P I know, I am not one to talk...you just provide me with so much entertainment that I miss you when you don't post daily! hehe!

Michelle said...

No word out of you on your blog, the board...I even posted about politics on my BLOG and still nothing from u. U ok? Hope all is well!