Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Milk! Milk!

Poor Lily. I introduced her to juice last week because we had an entire jug of it leftover from playgroup. Apparently, Lily's digestive track doesn't LIKE juice much. It resulted in day after day of diarrhia...until I finally made the connection in my head. Yea, Mom of the Year-4th year running. Anyway, we stopped the juice, but milk seemed to be aggravating her bowels...everytime she had milk she'd explode up to her armpits in poop. (Lovely topic today, eh?). So I decided that we needed to have 12-24 hours of no milk to just help those intestines get back up to speed.

Lily did not agree with this plan.

I put her to bed Monday night with a cup of water. We cuddled like we usually do with her cup of milk...she was suspicious, but she accepted it. Went to sleep like a champ. 11 hours later, she woke up screaming. Jeff went in to change her diaper and give her another cup of water. She sees Jeff and yells, "No!" Poor Jeff...she's a Momma's girl. I hear him start changing her diaper and then her screams reach a new height. She begins shrieking, "Mih! Mih!" (which is milk in her baby voice). Then she apparently started yelling the word and doing the sign. She was probably thinking, "I've spent all this effort learning to communicate, and you are IGNORING me!" I went in to try and calm things down...but she would have nothing to do with the water. She did cuddle on my shoulder and let me sing to her...but when I laid her back down (it was only 5:30), she was FURIOUS.

I finally gave her milk before her afternoon nap. Okay, it's her only nap now. Have I mentioned we are also transitioning to one nap a day? Ugh. She certainly doesn't need a morning nap anymore, but she hasn't lengthened her afternoon nap yet. So she's gone from a 90 minute morning and a 90 minute afternoon nap to a single 90 minute nap a day. And we miss that hour and a half... ;) I remember this stage well with Andrew...it's only a matter of time until her body adjusts. Anyway, back to the milk...she's had no explosions since getting milk back, so I think we're okay now. But I'll always remember her yelling in desperation, "Mih! Mih!" with her little hands pumping in the motion of sign language at the same time.

PS. Why is spell-checker not working in blogger? This is the 4th post in a row that it fails. Now all my faithful readers will realize that I can't spell things like "apparently" and "diahhria". I guess I need to dust off my old hard copy of Websters. Nah. You guys new my brain has turned into Mommy-mush, right?

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

You have me wondering what kind of juice it was. . . Harper cannot drink regular grape juice, even watered down, without serious repercussions. White grape juice? Not a problem, but I cringe at the thought of giving her the purple stuff -- her behind becomes that same color almost immediately. No fun.