Saturday, December 04, 2010

Advent calendar

a.k.a. "Chocolate for breakfast"

We finally found some lcalendars last night. So when we got home, the kids got 3 pieces of chocolate.

This morning, Mikey didn't know to ask for it.

Then Lily woke up. First thing she said was, "Can I open number 4?"

Then Andrew woke up. First thing he said was, "Did Lily have her chocolate yet?"

Then Mikey finally became aware of what was going on. He excitedly opened number 4, and squealed with delight that there was another chocolate inside. He wandered off, gnawing on his treat and marveling that Mommy just gave him candy at 6:15 in the morning.

3 minutes later (give or take), he walks back over to me.

"Now figh?" (now five?)

"No, Mike, you just get to open number 4 today."

"Eigh? Nigh?" (eight? nine?)

"Sorry Mike. Just 4."

"Two? Ten?"

At which point I just started tickling him. Nice try, Mikey. At least you didn't melt into a screaming fit like your sister did when she was this age and wanted to eat them all at once. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In related news, Michael was evaluated for early intervention yesterday. His case manager, a speech therapist, and a teacher came to play with him and listen to him. Turns out he is a very bright boy (which we knew), who is ahead on many of the tests they gave him, but significantly behind in speech (which we also knew). They estimate he's about the level of an average 20 month old (he is 31 months old), due to the fact he has very few 2 syllable words, he drops the ending off of most of his words, and we really need context clues to figure out most of what he says. He should start in about 2 weeks with a speech therapist, who will come to our house for the sessions.

And I can't wait to see him progress. Because just this week, he started calling me "Mommy" instead of "Ma". And it sounds so good to be Mommy. He's too smart to be held back by his lack of articulation.

3 comments:

d e v a n said...

Aw, cute about the calendars!

I bet the progress will happen quickly when speech therapy starts!

bluedaisy said...

Love E.I. :) It really does make a difference!
And now I am thinking I should get calendars for us too (before they get to eat 2 weeks worth of chocolate in one sitting!

HawleyFamily said...

Ok, let me get this straight, they evaluated him the day BEFORE and they already gave you an answer and a treatment plan? AND, the treatment play included HOME therapy???? My state's public school system SUCKS! That process for Aaron took 4 months and then I had to bring him to a local school for speech sessions. Now they won't provide him the same number of sessions as last year because we have him in private school instead of public. grrr!!

Ok, enough of my rant. SO glad it worked easily for you, my friend! :)