Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Taking a turn for the positive

Yesterday afternoon, my kids proved to me that the holidays ARE wonderful and special and magical.

I picked up Andrew from school and we scooted over to the mall to visit Santa. I'm not a big pusher of Santa Claus...not because I don't love the tradition, but because I think it is kind of a weird one to force on kids. "I know I tell you not to talk to strangers, but sit on this oddly dressed, huge, strange, and loud man's lap and smile! You don't know him, but don't worry...he's going to break into our house in a few days while we're sleeping."

Anyway, my policy has always been to talk about the tradition and provide the opportunity to talk and visit with Santa. If they show up and don't want to talk to him, no worries. We wave from far away and send a safe little letter to let Santa know what we want for presents. Because of this, I have exactly one photo of my kids with Santa. And it is actually only Andrew, because he was 2 and there were no other urchins living in my house.

I was not expecting much, needless to say. Lily walked up already protesting. I did my standard, "Santa just wants to make kids happy. So if talking to him doesn't make you happy, then don't worry!"

Fast forward 2 minutes. Andrew is sitting comfortably on one knee (poor Santa) and Lily hopped right up on his other knee. Michael was less friendly, but agreed to sit on Santa's feet. A picture was taken and much money was exchanged. Then Andrew told Santa what he wanted (a live tree? WTH...his DS game was on the letter...) and then Lily went on and on about this Playmobile Princess castle that she saw in a catalog (which she is not getting, and I am really worried she's never going to forgive Santa...but seriously? That stuff is expensive and she already has 2 other doll houses!?!). Lily was telling Santa every detail, even putting her hands on her cheeks at one point and exclaiming dramatically, "It is so so so beautiful, you wouldn't believe it". Michael blurted out that he wanted Thomas (shit...I didn't get him any of that either. My kids are going to have such a crappy Christmas... ;) )

We all walked away contented and happy with our visit with Santa. We went to a kiosk and picked out our 2010 ornaments. While we waited for them to be personalized, we played in the empty play area. Michael kept pointing at all the decorations of gingerbread men and exclaiming, "Loo! KooKee Boy! KooKee Boy!" This is possibly my favorite word this holiday season. When I announced it was time to leave, Andrew asked, "Mom? Are we going to stop for refreshments?" which sent me into giggles, because, really? What 7 year old asks for mall snacks like that?

It was a delightful afternoon...at the mall...with 3 children and no stroller. If only Jeff could have been there to enjoy them. Instead he got home to 3 overtired kids. Maybe today we'll finally bake cookies so they will be also on a sugar high ;)

4 comments:

d e v a n said...

Aw, that does sound nice. I feel the same way about sitting on Santa's lap.
Oh, and my almost-6 yr old told Santa he wanted a Thomas too. Crap. He hasn't played with trains in awhile and he is not getting that... Hopefully they'll forgive Santa when they don't get exactly what they asked for.

CARRIE said...

N always does that junk too. Writes a letter to Santa saying she wants x,y, and z, and then proclaiming to me that she wants a,b, and c. So then last minute I have to run out and switcheroo.

Isn't it nice when all runs smoothly and everyone is fairly happy?

Sarah said...

We had an amazingly good time visiting Santa too! I was pretty shocked, but pleasantly so!

Kate said...

Hooray- Colin told me he wants Santa just to surprise him. "Last year I asked for a ball-- and I got a ball, but I also got a bunch of cool stuff I didn't even know I wanted."

Bless the child!

I don't know if santa is on the agenda.

Oh-- and Mike said 2 syllables! KooKee! Go Mike!