Thursday, December 09, 2010

First day

Our speech therapist came today to play with Michael. I am not versed in protocol for these types of home visits. So I tried to stay out of the way, but may or may not have gotten too involved. I wish that they had a pamphlet on the first day that said things like:

Do (or do not?) suggest play items
Do (or do not?) help translate
Do (or do not?) encourage/force your child to participate
Do wait 2 (4,6,8?) weeks before deciding that your child needs a different therapist due to lack of rapport or chemistry.

We'll figure this all out. Michael was NOT into cooperating. He wouldn't look the therapist in the eyes for long enough to watch her say the sounds, and when he was pressed to pronounce something, he would retreat to my lap and curl up like a turtle. Typical shy Mikey behavior. He had no such issues during the eval, but they were just letting him play and talk, and not asking him to DO anything or fix anything.

Now my homework for the week is to write down any one syllable words he successfully adds the ending to. I can't think of a single one. But I know I'll find some, because I'm also supposed to write down any words ending in /p/, /b/, and /m/ that he tries to say, but leaves out the ending. When she told me, I couldn't think of any...and already I have a list going of about 8 (zip, sleep, soup, tub, top, cup, stop, help).

Tonight I have playgroup, and I'm going to grill the speech therapist of the group about what I'm supposed to be doing during these sessions. :) It's good to have friends with skills.

4 comments:

memere said...

Work on saying, "Memere" Though I do love being called Mey. Hope it goes better as he gets to know her.

Emily said...

You aren't asking for my advice, but just 2 cents from me since I used to work in early intervention. I think the answers vary based on the kid's needs and what the therapist is trying to accomplish. It would be 100% reasonable (and helpful, I think) for you to ask her at the beginning of the next session "Would it be helpful if I translated when I understand him? Would you like me to show you his favorite toys? Please let me know if you'd like me to encourage his participation." She'd probably be thrilled that you asked so you are on the same page.

But for sure, unless Mikey typically takes a long time to warm up to someone, I think you will know within 3 or 4 sessions whether it's a good match. Sometimes it's not, and it's completely reasonable to switch therapists so you don't waste your time. But the first session is always the hardest, so hopefully next week will be better.

bluedaisy said...

Emily's advice is good stuff! I would just ask the therapist :)
I don't know if it varies from county to county but in ours, birth-3 early intervention is based on a parent training model--so parents are expected to be more involved. Since Liam is over 3, I don't go into his sessions but we do have weekly homework as well.

Anonymous said...

As a speech therapist my advice is...ask the therapist. Also, she should be used to working with kids with all different personalities and should also have a fair amount of behavior training so Shy Mikey shouldn't be a problem for her.

LisaP