Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And eye appointment and an auntie

We've had a lot of togetherness lately. Which doesn't leave me for much blog fodder. That I wish to bore you with, anyway.

(Lily is taking an x-ray of her patient Michael...not using him as an arts-n-crafts table)


Last week...Wednesday to be exact...Lily had her first ever eye appointment. She had done mediocre on the little eye exam at her 4 year old well visit last fall. Which wouldn't really concern me normally, since they give it to the kids in the weight/height check hallway, while lots of other kids are being ushered to their rooms. It is in a main traffic area, which I think is a very flawed design. However, Lily is also excruciatingly clumsy. And although all things point to genetics, I thought it best to just make sure it wasn't her vision making her run head first into walls.


It's not. She has 20/20 vision, which is actually better than expected at 4 years old (20/30 is considered perfectly normal). The doctor checked her for all sorts of other eye problems that can cause clumsiness. Negative. Lily's problems are not fixable with a simple pair of eye glasses. Perhaps when genetic infusion is invented...


My new neighbor, whom I am NOT stalking, watched Michael for me. So it was just Lily and me. And she was fabulous. She did NOT want to go get her eyes checked, and had a 20 minute fit when I told her earlier in the morning. But by the time we got to the office, she was so cooperative and fabulous. Even when they put the dilation drops in her eyes. She charmed the snot out of all the patients in the waiting area. I had brought a Highlights hidden picture book for her to keep her busy, because I am eye-doctor-retarded and didn't think about the fact that she couldn't enjoy it when her eyes were dilated. So she announced, "I can't do this because of my funky eyes." And then proceeded to dance and sing around the waiting area, completely oblivious to the audience...just floating around in her imaginary world. It was completely and utterly charming.


A few days later, my little sister showed up. She had frequent flyer miles to use up, and she chose to use them to come visit us. Suck-ah!


Lily quickly invited her into the fold...




We had a blast with Auntie A...all the kids competed for her attention. She was eternally patient with them and played more mind-numbing games than should really be possible. She endured a snow day. She went to a basketball game for 5-7 year olds. She tolerated the mall with a 4 year old. She read countless children's books. So thanks for coming, Andrea! You made what could have been a looooooong winter week so much fun. ;)


And finally, since I can't seem to get my pictures to download in any sort of order... Michael and Lily celebrated the fact that Michael is finally sitting at the big table instead of a high chair...by using the booster seats as toys. Now we can never find the booster seats when we need them...since they are always being dragged all over the house as "cat beds" or "airplane seats" or "furniture for the play house." -sigh- Healthy imaginations are great. :)


2 comments:

d e v a n said...

Fun on the Auntie visit!

I hate having my eyes dilated. It's so weird!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Andrea was able to visit and keep you company! Anyone who plays with children gets five stars in my book ;)