Monday, August 22, 2011

34

Yesterday I turned 34. Jeff treated me like a queen for a day...letting me hole up in my room and read a book, making stuffed french toast for breakfast, taking the kids to a birthday party while I went to get my cousin Nicole from the airport, giving the kids a bath while I drove back from the airport sans Nicole due to storms, and finally driving back to the airport to actually get Nicole when her plane arrived a few hours later. Honestly, I feel like he's buttering me up for something. Like today he'll come home from work and say, "Hey, I didn't want to ruin your birthday, but I have a job interview for an oil rig in the Persian Gulf. Won't that be a fun experience for you and the kids?!?"

But he was probably just being nice ;) The kids were...not as cooperative as you would hope. They were hilariously excited to give me their gifts (chip clips, 2 Tervis cups, a candle, an ice cream scoop, and a new spatula) and nearly frantic to cut into the birthday cake.

I wanted to make resolutions for my 34th year. My resolutions are always very similar and I always always break them. So I won't even write them down. No point. One was to challenge myself to write a blog entry every day of my 34th year. And then I forgot to do one yesterday. FAIL! Another is to finally lose 20 pounds. But I've been saying that for as long as I've been blog writing, and all I've done in the last 6 years is GAIN 15 pounds. -sigh-. I suck at resolving to do things.

One thing I'm determined to do this year is venture into Jersey (insert shaking fist) more. We've lived here almost 5 years (can you believe it? 5 years ago on labor day we found out we were moving to Philly. FIVE YEARS), and I avoid the nearby state of New Jersey like it is a 3rd world country. But they have enticing things...like beaches, and Whole Foods, and Trader Joes, and Pottery Barns. So tomorrow I'm venturing to the shore for the first time. Don't ask me which one. I don't know. I didn't ask because it wouldn't mean anything to me anyway. I will blindly follow one of my friend's cars through the confusing intersections until we reach sand.

So hello, 34! We'll try to reach 35 with more blog entries, less pounds, and more Jersey (insert shaking fist) driving experience.

6 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Jersey is not so bad...but just remember, you always have to pay to get out of Jersey-LOL!
And wait, Pennsylvania has Trader Joe's and Pottery Barn? But no beaches...sigh. Lots of people I know have always gone "down the shore" in Jersey but we've always been Ocean City Maryland fans.
AnyWHO, Happy Birthday!!! Hope this new year is all that you want it to be :)

d e v a n said...

HAPPY birthday!

Kelsey said...

Oh Happy Birthday! I wonder why Facebook didn't tell me it was your birthday???

I always love hearing about the gifts your kids choose for you.

Good luck with Jersey. :-)

Thanks for your nice comment on my last post - difficult not to feel like I'm totally crazy-cakes this time of year...

Joanne said...

Happy birthday, Giselle! If Jeff tells you that you're moving to Sri Lanka or something, let us know! ;-)

CARRIE said...

Did you get my card????

Pamela said...

Happy Birthday! Escaping with a book sounds heavenly. Sounds like your kids think you spend a lot of time in the kitchen...and they're probably right :)