Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Shore

We made it back home from Jersey today! I closely followed my friends...and they were so worried about losing me on the freeway, we drove slower than a funeral procession. I have good friends ;)

It was a simply gorgeous day...low humidity, breezy, some cloud coverage. Perfect for the beach. And this one is only a little more than an hour away from our house!

But, I'll admit it, my children are spoiled brats. The water was too cold (it was). The sand was too gravely (it was). The beach was too crowded (it was). Guess who the biggest spoiled brat of them all is ;)

No, seriously, if you weren't constantly comparing it to another beach, it would be a simply lovely place to spend the day. And, in fact, we had a lovely day.

Andrew refused to do anything at first. Just driving by the beach to look for a parking lot he announced, "I don't like this beach. It's too crowded." He also refused to go in the water. But he had a blast finding treasures in the sand...little shells and crab claws, etc.

It certainly was more crowded than we are used to...and this is in the middle of the day on a Tuesday...I can't imagine the weekends!

Lily is truly my beach girl. She just loved it. She was also scared of the water...there is almost no shelf, so the waves really smash into the shore. So she just flitted in and out and dug holes and threw sand into the waves. Happy girl.


Michael was scared beyond reason of the water. He wouldn't get within 8 feet of it. Screaming in terror. But he loved the sand. He kept burying himself in it. Unfortunately, he wouldn't get in the water to wash it off. -sigh-

The most frustrating thing was that the kids wouldn't stay in the same area. Lily was by the shore, Michael was by the blanket, and Andrew was wandering by the boardwalk to look for treasures. And there were 5,000 people milling around us for me to search through. I am so exhausted from trying to keep an eye on them all the time.

But it was successful. I would go again. It is so close to us! And the homes near the beach were so huge and gorgeous...I could just walk around the neighborhoods and house hunt ;)

I'm glad we did it! We survived Jersey!

5 comments:

Aunt Sara said...

Glad to hear you survived jersey and the kids had fun.

bluedaisy said...

You are lucky you are so close...it takes us almost twice as long. It really is hard to watch 3 kids on the beach, even when you have other adults helping out! Glad you had a good day going "down the shore" :)

CARRIE said...

I am seriously thinking about coming up there next summer. Will keep you posted. You will probably be on Jeff to move soon, right?

Kelsey said...

Looks like the kids had fun but I cannot imagine how tired you are!

Andrea said...

I think it's crazy that you went to the Jersey shore a week before it is about to get slammed with a decent sized hurricane!