Monday, March 19, 2012

Our new grownup

One of the great things about living near a large city, is sometimes our far away family and friends just happen to have an event nearby.  And then we get to see them.

My big sister had a Public Library Conference in Philadelphia last week.  I drove down to meet her on Saturday, where we listened to Betty White talk.  (she's awesome and so cute and with it...and 90!)  Then I drove her north to our little town so she could bond with her niece and nephews a bit.  They were a little disappointed that she didn't bring her energetic side kick, but still really enjoyed hanging out.   She played UNO with Lily, discussed measurement with Andrew, and zombies (of course) with Michael.  Jeff enjoyed having someone to drink beer and talk basketball with.  And I enjoyed catching up in a relaxed atmosphere and talking about anything and everything.

My favorite quote of the weekend came from my youngest, of course.  Michael couldn't remember her name at first, so when he wanted to tell her something, he would first turn to me and say, "Mom?  What's our new grownup called?"  When I answered Aunt Kate, he would turn to her and say, "Aunt Cake, look at this..."

Oh, Aunt Cake, how we wished we lived closer...

No comments: