Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gratuitous bragging

It's my blog, and I'll brag if I want to.

Andrew is amazing.  Have I mentioned that?  There are so many moments where I just watch him in awe.  He's mine.  That funny, handsome, intelligent, kind kid is MINE.  Kind of crazy luck.

Parenting has been made so much easier because my first born is so naturally caring.  For example, Michael and Lily come home from birthday parties and happily share everything in their party bags.  Why?  Because Andrew's been doing it for years.

He teases them endlessly and knows how to push every one of Lily's buttons.  Twice.  But he also comforts her during movies, explaining what is happening and hugging her close.  He doesn't protest when Michael gets extra help during a game...in fact giving him hints that I wouldn't give.  He cheers on Lily when she is stumbling through a reading book.  He loves them.

When I go to his school to volunteer, I am always approached by other parents and teachers.

"I just love Andrew."

"Andrew is a natural born leader. He doesn't get frustrated with others and enjoys bringing them along on his mental journeys."

"Andrew is one of my favorites to work with.  He comes up with the best stuff.  I was helping him with his writing and he wanted to know whether to spell it Brasil like they do in Brasil or Brazil like we do in the US.  What 2nd grader asks that?"

"Are you Andrew's mom?  My child always tells me how much he helps her in class.  What a wonderful boy."

"Is Andrew your son?  I was helping in the cafeteria and a lot of the boys know me from baseball.  Andrew came right up and introduced himself to find out who I was.  He is so polite and speaks so well."

"I wish my son's friends were more like Andrew."

It's overwhelming.  Because I don't know who their children are, so I have no equal compliments to send back their way.  All I can do is murmur my thanks and agree with them. He is so wonderful.

I know that all this adoration from parents will be his downfall someday soon.  No kid wants to be friends with the kid that his PARENTS like.  Right?

But for now, Andrew is in a delightful middle ground.  Other kids respect his intelligence and enjoy his sense of humor.  The parents and teachers admire his calm respectful demeanor and willingness to help.

Despite his popularity, Andrew is hungry for praise.  Despite being this fantastic human being, he craves acknowledgement and reassurance.  He still needs lots of hugs and cuddles and stories of how wonderful he is.

I take no credit for this person.  He was born special and continues to grow into a person you'd like to meet, know, and work with.  I think my job is mostly to just love him and cheer him on and believe in him.  And to let him know that no matter what happens, I'm just the luckiest mother alive to get to be here for all of it.

1 comment:

memere said...

And I'm the luckiest Grandmother. He is special and oh so loveable.