Monday, April 30, 2012

PDA

Before I begin this post, let me just say that I KNOW my husband is going to hate this post.  It will embarrass him to no end.  But I think it is funny and sweet, and I want to document it.  

Jeff and I are affectionate people.  We try not to gross people out, so we don't do much PDA.  But we haven't worried much about our kids.  We kiss frequently in front of them and cuddle and what not.  Those days are quickly coming to an end, I think.  They used to just play around us and ignore all the kissy stuff.  But Andrew is getting more and more uncomfortable with it.  -sigh-

For example...

The kids and I discovered a CD that Jeff had burned.  Turns out, there were 4 new songs on it.  One was the pop song that Lily is performing to in her dance recital next month.  She was elated to be able to practice at home.  The second was a pop song that I always sing to when it comes on the radio.  The last was a song that Jeff likes that he thought the kids would enjoy dancing to.

But we didn't know the 3rd song.  It is a cheesy boy band song.  Odd.  So when Jeff came home from work and thanked him for the new songs and asked about the 3rd song.  He said it always made him think of me.  The kids turned it on, and then he proceeded to sing it to me while dancing me around.

The song is What Makes You Beautiful, by One Direction.  (and I'm linking to a video of boys singing that makes me feel very very old.  Yikes.)

Here's the refrain, to give you an idea...

Baby you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it aint hard to tell
You don't know
Oh Oh
You don't know you're beautiful

If only you saw what I can see
You'll understand why I want you so desperately
Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe
You don't know
Oh oh
You don't know you're beautiful
Oh oh
That what makes you beautiful



Cheesy, right?  And also cute...his little performance had me grinning from ear to ear and laughing.  The children had very different responses.

Michael ignored us and continued building his block castle.

Lily looked bewildered and asked a million times, "Why is this song about Mommy?  What does it mean?  Why are you singing it to her?  What does it mean?"

Andrew looked...sheepish.  He was kind of grinning in an embarrassed way and almost rolling his eyes.  

I supposed we need to stop these public displays before our children are too horrified to even come out of their rooms.  -sigh- 

BTW...Now every time that song comes on the radio or in the grocery store or whatever, Lily lights up and says, "Mommy!  Mommy!  It's your song!"  And since I'm not 12 years old, it's a little embarrassing to have that announced to the world.

4 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Cheesy- of course! But I think that your children knowing that you and Jeff are crazy about each other is one of the best things ever. Love that the romance :)

d e v a n said...

Oh my gosh, this is SO CUTE.

CARRIE said...

There is GREAT POWER in being able to embarrass your children. Keep it up!

Kelsey said...

I love this so much. And if you'd showed me this post fifteen years ago (or sometime in college)I would have believed every word of it. I love you and Jeff together.

Go ahead and embarrass your kids!