Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gum chewing...Michael style

One of the big deals about turning 4 around here is that you are allowed to chew gum.  Michael has been so envious of Lily (gum enthusiast) and Andrew (occasional gum chewer).  A few months before his birthday, if you asked him how old he was going to be he would say, "I is4andicanchewgum!" all in one breath.  Which was very confusing for the hapless grocery store clerk who had NO IDEA what he just said.

One of his presents was a huge stack of gum packages.  I'd say we got him about 10 different flavors.  We warned him of the 3 big rules with gum chewing. #1- Don't swallow it  #2--When you are finished, throw it away into the trash.  #3--Don't play with it with your fingers.

Every once in a while, there is an experience with your children that makes you SO GLAD that instead of buying a yacht and a yacht crew and sailing the world you decided to spend all your money and time on little humans instead.  I have to say that watching Michael chew gum is the most hilarious and satisfying activities we've had at this house for quite a while.  It makes me glad we had children.

At first, I think he was really terrified of swallowing it.  So nervous that he couldn't even swallow his spit.  So he would put a piece in his mouth and chew it about five times with his mouth wide open.  The second a bit of drool started to collect in his mouth, he would run to the trash and spit it out.  The gum was hardly wet or chewed at this point.  And then he would happily open his pack of gum and get a new piece.  Chew for 2 seconds, spit in trash.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Part of the problem was the flavor of gum...he really wanted to try them all.  When you open a pack of Skittles, you get to try each flavor instantly.  That is how Michael tried the gum.

I indulged him in this concentrated chew chew spit get another piece pattern for a few days.  But we were going through gum like water.  So I actually sat down with him and showed him how to chew gum.  What a strange parenting experience.  I put a piece in my mouth and showed him how I swallowed my spit without swallowing the gum.  He studied my mouth and my piece of gum with such concern and thoughtfulness.  Adorable.

Yesterday he chewed the same piece of gum for about 10 minutes.  A new record.  It is just so so cute how much concentration it takes him to chew gum.  He is actively thinking about NOT swallowing it the whole time.  He smacks his lips really loudly and opens his mouth SO WIDE for each chew.  It is hilarious.  And endearing.  And oh-so-Michael.

Who knew that gum would keep me from quitting this gig!?!  It's the little things, I guess.

3 comments:

Grandma said...

Love Michael! Love the blog and I am so glad you are blogging again :)

CARRIE said...

Ok, I laughed out loud when you said, "It makes me glad we had children." Gum chewing! Hilarious! You need to post some video.

Kelsey said...

Yes, I agree that we need some video!

I love this so much. It makes me laugh but feel like crying at the same time. They are so sweet and all these quirks of being little, we'll miss that.