Thursday, October 18, 2012

Future diaper-free and future mommy

Michael is getting really really close to being dry at night.  He potty trained in July of 2011, but he's just never been dry at night.  The other 2 kids were night trained within a month of being day trained.  But not my hard sleeper.  I've not been worried about it.  It's one diaper a day...not breaking the bank.

The last month or so, he's started coming into my bedroom at night with some lame-o excuse.

"I had a nightmare"
"I can't sleep"
"I need to sleep in your bed"

All strange for him.  So I always asked him to try and go potty...and lo and behold, he had to pee like a racehorse.  So his body was starting to wake him up, but he had no freakin' clue why.  Also?  He is scared to be alone...ever...so I think he just needs someone to be awake with him when he is wandering the upstairs.

In the last week, he has woken me up almost every night.  For no reason than to go to the bathroom.  This is real progress!  He's been dry almost every morning.  We're reaching the homestretch people!  And last night I opened a new bag of pull-ups, and Michael started crying and saying, "I don't want to wear diapers.  I am done with diapers!"  So we now have a chart, and if he stays dry for a certain number of nights, we will forgo the diapers.

Look for next week's blog entitled:  Changing the sheets twice a night!  Hooray!

As a side note, when we were gone this past weekend, Michael had to wake up his grandmother instead of me in the middle of the night for potty company.  All visitors stay in Lily's room, since we have crammed the queen sized bed into her room, and she sleeps on the floor of Andrew's room.  So Michael visited Lily's room for a few nights in order to get Grandma.

Monday night, my in-laws were back in Ohio, and Lily was back in her bed.  At 1am, I bolt upright as I hear Michael enter Lily's room and start talking.  I heard him tell her that he needed to go potty.  By the time I got to the door, Lily was sleepily getting out of bed to walk him to the bathroom...no protests or questions.  Isn't that sweet?  Just getting up in the middle of the night to watch a kid pee.  Her future mothering skills are already deep in place.  I, of course, sent her back to bed quickly and accompanied him myself.


1 comment:

HawleyFamily said...

I have to say, I might have just smiled, let her take him, and enjoyed more sleep for myself! LOL!