Monday, October 15, 2012

Race weekend

Jeff and I lived it up again this weekend.  Jeff's parents came up to watch the kiddos and we headed up to Newport, RI for a race weekend.

Friday, after a 5 hour (or so) drive, we arrived in this quaint New England coastal town.  It felt a lot like the town we live in...except 10 times bigger and our town is neither in New England nor is it coastal.  But the old buildings, small shops and restaurants, seeping with history...that part felt the same.

The first thing we did was the Cliff Walk.  This is a historical trail right along the ocean.  Richy rich RICH people built their mansions along the coast, but rather than gobble up all the property to the water's edge, left this trail for peons like us to saunter through.  It was gorgeous and gave us an idea of the glorious homes built in this area.

We thought this place was one of the Vanderbuilt mansions.  Turns out it was part of the Salve Regina college campus.  Nice campus.



This is what part of the trail was like.  
We walked past this one and were so excited to see people inside touring.  We took the tour on Saturday and learned that it was a private residence until 1993.  Amazing.


We finished off Friday by stopping by registration for our races, wandering around town, and eating dinner at a very good Italian place.

Saturday morning, my race was at 7:30, but we had to be there at 7.  It was 37 degrees out.  But sunny and not at all windy (something we would appreciate once Sunday/Jeff's race rolled around).

Here I am, all bundled up at the start point of the race.  Pretty nice place to run, eh?  Too bad my feet were so numb.  And I didn't get to wear my funny race day shirt ("If it weren't for people like me you'd have no one to pass")  That was kind of a bummer, but at least I was warm (ish)
Lining up.  Also...I am not good at smiling for the camera.
After I left, Jeff got a bit bored waiting for me.  This race was no where near anything, and yet was too short to leave and fill the time.  So he just had to stand in the freezing cold and play with his camera while he waited for me to come back around.

Race way.  Nice, right?




Here I come!  
Determined to not look like I'm dying as I cross the finish line.  I ended up finishing in 32:50 minutes...which is 3 full minutes faster than last year.  I was pleased with that time...but I didn't feel nearly as victorious as I did last year.  I knew I could finish this time...I run 3 miles every time I go out to run.  Still a really fun place to run, though.
After I got showered up and changed, we toured a few houses.  This one belonged to the Dukes...as in Duke University.  
Standing in their backyard.  No pictures were allowed inside the house.
Then we went to the most famous one, The Breakers.  It was impressive.  Fantastic.  Ridiculous.  But beautiful.



Sunday morning was Jeff's race.  It was 20 degrees warmer...but the wind was AWFUL.  Just awful.  Sand spitting in your face, steady wind offering a constant resistance to run against.  Poor guy.  Especially since he was running the half marathon (13.1 miles).  That's 2 hours of running with wind and sand smacking you in the face.  Ugh.  Just...ugh.

Waiting for the race to start.  

Lining up.  My race had 250 runners.  Jeff's had 4000.  



And they're off!
I didn't play around with the camera while I waited for him.  Our hotel was right across the street, so I went and finished my book.  I did show up a few hours later when Jeff crossed the finish line.  He finished in 1 hour 53 minutes.  Not what he was hoping for...but the WIND, my GOD, THE WIND!

Jeff limped around for a few hours and then we headed back to PA.  We stopped to visit some friends in Stamford, CT and had a very nice dinner with them and their girls.  Got back home around 10:30, and found out that while we were gone, our van battery had died, stranding my in-laws at the gym, a deer had hit the front of our car on their way home from soccer practice, the bathtub sliding door had wrenched clear off it's base, and I'm sure a few other things.  They also had to maneuver through school drop off and pick ups, soccer practices, soccer games, lacrosse practices, Sunday school.   We owe them BIG TIME for this wonderful weekend we had.  Of course they were nothing but gracious, pretending that it was US that did them the favor by letting them watch the children.  Ha-HA.  But it is nice to be so loved that they want us to be able to have time alone like this.  I will pay it forward when my own children need some time to enjoy their own marriages.  But I might skip a soccer practice or two with my grandkids.


2 comments:

Pamela said...

Congrats to you both on your races!!! I am super jealous of your breathtaking coastal run. But not so jealous of the freezing weather. You looked incredibly cold. And slim. Seriously. I vaguely remember a post about your watch needing to be tightened but you are looking fit!

And I enjoyed all the pics of the houses...amazing.

CARRIE said...

Those are great photos! Where the 1% live, right?