Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why, yes, he IS tall for his age

His whole life, when Andrew has entered a room, we get comments on his size.  It started the day he was born, and will probably continue until he reaches adulthood.  We get it.  He's big.

It doesn't bother me at all.  It's mildly amusing at the most.  It's just the first thing to say about him, I guess.  Like when I meet new people and the conversation goes like this...almost every time:

"Hi!  Nice to meet you.  My name is Jen.  What's yours?"
"Giselle"
"What?"
"Giselle"
"Oh..heh...heh...erm...okay."  And they nervously refuse to attempt my name ever again.

Last night were basketball tryouts for the 3rd grade travel team.  In talking to other parents, it always goes,

"Which one is your son?"
"Andrew, in the red shirt."
"Oh.  Wow.  Is he really tall?"
"Why, yes, he IS tall for his age."


But the funniest conversation regarding this was one I overheard between Andrew and another boy on his soccer team during a game last weekend.  Keep in mind that Andrew is in the 8&9 year old league...so he is right in the middle age wise.

Sam: "Where do you go to school, Andrew?"
Andrew: "I'm at G. Elementary."
S: "Oh!  No wonder I don't recognize you from school.  And you are in 4th grade?"
A: "No, I'm in 3rd."
S: "REALLY?  You are really tall.  I mean, I'm the tallest boy in 4th grade at S. Elementary and you are taller than me.  WOW.  Are you just really old for 3rd grade?"
A: -shrugging- "Nah, I'm only 8."
S: "That's amazing.  Hey, I'm part Hungarian, English, and German.  How about you?"


And on and on their conversation went.  While a game was going on.  It was so hilarious.  At least they weren't talking about bodily functions.  Right then, anyway.

1 comment:

Jayme said...

It's funny because my kids are both tall, too. I swear someone comments on it at least once a day. Bailey looks like she is about 12 at 5'1" and Jase apparently looks older than 4 at 44". There definitely could be worse problems, I suppose ;-)