Monday, October 08, 2012

Thank heavens for little girls

Once upon a time, there was a woman who was frightened of having a little girl.  She had a boy...what on earth would she do with a little girl?

Go to New York City and shop and play with dolls, that's what.

Lily turned 6 (S-I-X?!?!?) on Saturday.  Since I really hate birthday parties and since she is right in the middle of the limited age to love dolls and since we live very close to a very cool city that has an American Girl Store...I called the grandmas and got them here on Lily's birthday and we went to New York City.

It was awesome in every way.  Lily was exuberant the whole day.  She kept exclaiming, "This is the best. birthday. EVER!"  Literally all day long.  Although it was her first time in a big city, she wasn't intimidated at all.  She pulled our hands and dragged us along.  She walked...a ton.  I was amazed how much she walked.  She shopped and browsed and didn't beg for things or whine when she didn't get something.  Delightfully delighted to just get to look at everything there was to offer.  She was completely and totally adorable and enjoyable.  

Here she is on the train going to NYC.  She was very excited to take the train.  She had brought a purse and put some Strawberry Shortcake lipstick in it, a plastic princess phone, a fake credit card from Chuck-e-cheese, and some coins.  All day she would touch up her make-up, make a phone call on her phone, or offer to pay at restaurants.  She has the best imagination ever (or we need to see a psychologist ASAP) 

 Lily occasionally got control of my camera.  I have spared you from most of the pictures, as they are extreme close-ups of things adults wouldn't find interesting.  Such as this doll in a random shop window we walked past:
 We took Andrew into the 4 story Toys R Us in Times Square a few years ago.  It was a totally different experience with Lily, of course.  I didn't even notice the huge Barbie house last time.  It is 2 stories full of Barbies and Barbie accessories.  Lily was in pink heaven.
 Lily also posed without being asked.  Here she shows us her muscles next to the Lego Hulk.  There were lots of Lego creations...like one of the Empire State Building.  I showed Lily and said, "Look!  They even put Godzilla on top."  This man in his twenties was walking past and shook his head, embarrassed for me as he pointed out that it was King Kong.  Of course it was!  I knew that!  I was just testing her!
 She took 5,000,000,000 pictures in the Angry Birds area.  Lordy.  To her credit, when she would ask for things in Toys R Us, we would remind her we were going to American Girl later and she would just clam up and not ask any more.  Also?  When we were getting ready to leave the toy store, she said, "I think we should get something for Andrew and Michael.  They might be sad they didn't get to come." 
 Sweet little thing.
 Lily dragged us into the 2 story Disney Store.  Here she is in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse thingy.  I believe she explained the pose to me as, "I'm just so surprised to be popping out of the clubhouse into a giant store."
 She also enjoyed the giant castle filled with dress-up clothes and magic mirrors.  They were actually going to do a "practice trick or treat" just as we were looking around.  Lily said, "We can't.  We have too much to do."  Indeed.
 After lunch at Roxy's deli, we were waiting for Grandma and Memere to come out of the bathroom.  M&M World was right across the street, and Lily really enjoyed the screen outside their store.  We never made it over there...because Hershey's was right across the street and we went there first.  After buying her body weight in chocolate there, we wouldn't let her cross the street.
 Chocolate.  A whole store of chocolate.  Lily's Mecca.
 "Take a picture of me with the giant Kiss!"
 At the back of the store, Lily got to be a Hershey's worker.  She picked out a tin and the chose what kind of chocolates she liked.
 She was instructed to push this button over and over.
 Suddenly we heard a rumbling from overhead, and suddenly chocolate started pouring down these chutes and into the bucket.  Lily was shocked...although the face looks really fake in this shot.  She really did gasp in surprise.


 The employee helping her was amazing.  She was packaging it all up and talking really sweet to Lily.  She said, "Did you know that at Christmas time I get to dress up as an elf and help Santa out?  In fact, I just had lunch with Santa to start planning the Christmas season yesterday.  And...wait a minute.  What was your name?  Lily?  Yes, he told me that you would be coming to my store to pick out chocolates on your birthday.  Isn't Santa amazing?  You'll have to come visit him at Christmas."  
So nice.
 Next we went to the Top of the Rock...the top of Rockefeller Center.  Amazing views.  Amazing crowds.  Really cool, but I wish we'd had more time there.
 Then came the main event.  We had reservations for tea at 4:00, but we got there at 3.  So since Lily was there with her mother, grandmother, and Memere...she got a doll.  Lily was very consistent with which doll she wanted.  She did not want a doll that looked like her...she wanted THIS doll.  She named it Violet.  The entire meal, Lily was talking to Violet and feeding Violet and helping her drink from her little doll cup.  It was exactly the experience I hoped she would have at this restaurant.
Oh, yes.  And Memere and Grandma were there too.  I'm sorry I don't have more pictures of them from this day.  I'm pretty sure they had a good time.  Although their wallets were quite a bit lighter at the end.
There she is with her grandmothers!
Offering Violet some tea.
Lily and Violet

Overall, I felt a little financially date raped by American Girl.  Just like I did when we took Michael to the Thomas the Train thing for his birthday.  Things were WAY too expensive for what you got.  But I'd do it all over again even knowing that.  However.  We will NOT be going back ;)

I did so well navigating NYC.  I was really and truly proud of myself.  And then I got lost driving home from the train station.  I should have known that in NEW JERSEY (insert shaking fist), you would have to take the ramp to 295 North in order to go south.  Of course.  Anyway, we got back home late that night and had cake with the boys. Everyone was tired and grouchy the next day.  But it was totally worth it.  A lifetime of memories were made on Saturday.  Even if Lily forgets it someday...I never will.

I love this girl.  

4 comments:

memere said...

So much fun. Thanks for inviting us to join in. I thank heaven for my girls every day.

Pamela said...

Reading about all the cool places you went before Amercian Girl I kept thinking it sounded like a trip to Disneyland but without the ridiculous admission price and long lines. How fun!

I think that's the best six year old birthday party I've ever heard of :)

Michelle said...

What a wonderfully awesome day! She will always remember that day! And on the off chance she doesn't, that's what pictures and Mama's are for! Happy belated birthday Lily!

CARRIE said...

For experiences like this, spending that kind of money is worth it! Sounds like a delightful day!