Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Teeth

Poor Lily. She is having quite a miserable week. Her body has decided that it must need more than just 2 teeth (she got those in the first week of August). Everyone but Lily knew this was inevitable. No human gets by with just 2 teeth. Unfortunately for Lil', her body has decided to get them all at once. She broke through one of the big top teeth on Saturday...and her swollen and red gums show the tips of 4 other teeth just below the surface. She's a teeny bit feverish (I think...I don't actually take my kids' temps much...just feel the forehead...old school), she has an upset tummy...I assume from the extra drool, and she wants to eat, but looks pained by it. She is clingy and whiny. Which is really hard for Lily because she HATES cuddling...it is like torture for her. But she wants her MOMMA (no one else will do) for comfort from all this yuckiness. So we go through this cycle all day...

Lily follows Mommy around whining, hands out to be picked up. Mommy picks Lily up. Lily hugs Mommy and pat-pats her on the back. Lily squirms to be put down. Once one the ground, Lily realizes that she WANTS HER MOMMY. Lily follows Mommy around whining...etc etc etc.

-sigh- It's been a long day.

Other than this ouchiness, Lily is really bursting with new tricks. And it is so much fun. I appreciate this stage so much more than I did with Andrew. You don't realize how happy and fun a 1 year old is until you've dealt with a 2 year old and then a 3 year old. 1 year olds are not schizophrenic like a 2 year old and don't have an agenda like a 3 year old. They just play for the joy of playing. Love it!

Lily's latest tricks...

-Puts both hands up in the air over her head when you say "Touchdown!" Then she claps for herself when she's done.
-Blows kisses with 2 hands if she really loves you. That's basically how she wins the kissing war.
-Says, "Beek-a-boo" when covering her eyes with her hands. So stinkin' cute.
-If she (or anyone else) drops something, she says, "Uh-ooooo" in this cute little high pitched voice. Love it. I purposefully drop things just to hear her say it.
-Plays with her baby doll. She'll see a picture of a baby or her doll and say, "Ba-bee". Then she will pick up the doll and pat pat it. And then usually throw it. But the patting is so sweet.
-Mimics anything and everything that we do. Not all of it...just random things she decides she can do. Andrew was "washing" the walls of the tub (someone's got to do it, right?). Lily kneels right next to him in the tub and starts "washing" with her washcloth. If only I'd had a camera to capture that adorable picture of two naked butts. Other mimicry...I was playing doctor with Andrew and his doctor kit today. Lily was my nurse (because she loves the doctor kit toys). I was about to do surgery on his stomach, and numbed the area with the syringe. Then I pat pat the area to see if he has any feeling. Lily watched me do this once and then grabbed the syringe and started shooting Andrew up everywhere. Especially in the stomach, but also in the nose, arm, whatever. Then she would pat pat the area and pause to look at him. And then she would repeat. Oh, dear Lord, Andrew and I were cracking up. She was so serious about it. She would take his temperature...and then her own...and then mine. She seriously was just copying everything we did with this doctor kit. So...stinkin'...cute.

We all just enjoy her so much. Andrew included. She is just this little ray of sunshine in our house. She does this great fake laugh if we're all laughing...she wants to be in on the joke! She has a cheese-ball smile that goes with it, that I can't capture on camera no matter how hard I try. She crawls around the house like a mad woman babbling away. It really sounds like she's talking...she's using the correct inflections...just no words. And I love it when Andrew responds to her like we do. Nothing melts my heart like them in the back seat of the car. Lily will be babbling away, and Andrew will say, "Oh, really, Lil'? What a great story."

What can I say...I'm in love. Now I hope she gets better so we can keep enjoying her.

2 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Howdy G! That mysterious deleted comment was ME, two days ago, trying to write a comment about teeth, getting interrupted half way through, accidentally publishing the incomplete comment, then deleting it, then taking two days to get back to what I was saying.

Phew!

Now what was I saying?

Whatever it was, I'm sure it was witty and smart and helpful.