Friday, May 30, 2008

Good in public

It's all about appearances, right? As long as I pull it together when out in public, people will think I am doing this 3-kid thing well, right? Even if it all falls apart and goes to hell as soon as we cross our threshold, right? Just tell me that's right. ;)

So I had a very accomplished day yesterday. Parenting 1 and even 2 kids rarely felt like it should be challenging (to me.) I am blessed with very even-tempered children who like to play by themselves. But adding this 3rd child has thrown me a bit towards the edge...the edge of sanity that is. It's not that he's bad...it's just I've reached my own personal threshold of children that I can manage. And it's debatable whether I'm actually managing 3...it could be argued that 2 was my actual limit. ;) But Mikey's here now, and he ain't going anywhere (you couldn't wrestle him from me)...so I'd better learn to fake it, right?

Anyway, now when I have a day like yesterday, I'm actually PROUD of myself. Like I feel as if someone should pin a little gold star on my lapel at the end of the day. As if I had a lapel. Pin a gold star on my ratty, over-sized, stained t-shirt. ;)

Here's how the day went:

Children wake up and we get out the door at 8:15 am.
Go to doctor to check Michael's weight (he gained 12 more ounces!!!).
Go fill up car with gas.
Go to grocery to get fresh flower bouquets for Andrew's teachers. (gold star, please?)
Drop Andrew off at school and pick up a new medical form for next year's school.
Go home and feed Michael.
Go back to school to watch the end of year program.
Hold back tears as I watch Andrew sing with his classmates. Hold Michael, keep Lily happy, videotape, and take still shots simultaneously (seriously, where is my gold star?).
Go to after-program cookie buffet and manage to keep my children from eating an entire plate of cookies (barely).
Go home and make lunch.
Go out to dinner with all 3 kids to celebrate Andrew's completion of a school year (we needed an excuse to go out).
Not only eat dinner, but have dessert as well. No children were disturbing the other patrons.
Go home and give all 3 children a bath.
Andrew and Lily in bed by 7:15pm

You can send that gold star anytime, now. ;) I got lots of comments from other mom's in Andrew's school about how well I'm managing 3. Oh, if only they saw me at home. But I just smiled and thanked them. It's amazing how the good days make you feel SOOOOOOO good. (Notice how I didn't mention how much tv my kids watched during the day. That makes me feel not-so-good. ;) )

4 comments:

CARRIE said...

You rock!

Kelsey said...

How did you get the flowers to the teachers while corralling three kiddos? I'm baffled and mightily impressed. You deserve an entire sheet of gold stars!

Andrea said...

You get a gold star from me!!!
I am seriously impressed by how much you did in one day!

Emily said...

I am cracking up because I am having those same feelings. I went to Target the other day with both kids and felt like I was the world's best mom because I managed to get out of the store with all the items on my list and no tears shed. But I think that's only good for SILVER stars. Gold is reserved for moms with 3+. :)