Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Sensitive (and other randomness)

Just ask my mother. Or my mother-in-law. Or my sisters. Or my husband. I have a bit of a problem with being sensitive. To criticism. I laughed at Andrew's teacher conference a few weeks ago when they said Andrew's only issue is being too sensitive. He gets it honestly.

Not only am I sensitive to criticism. Or being judged. But even perceived criticism or judgement. Which may not even be real...it could just be in my head. Are you getting a sense of how fun I am to be around? Don't comment...I may take it the wrong way. ;)

Anyhoo, the point of this is...people have been really nice to me lately. Strangers. Virtual strangers anyway. Take Monday. I was so proud of myself for getting all three kids to Andrew's gym class. We got there 5 minutes early, no one was hit by a car, everyone was dressed and fed. I had entertainment packed for Lily, Michael was fed and almost happy, the worst thing we forgot was Andrew's water bottle (BFD). I got the kids across the parking lot and into the door. I was cruising and proud of it. But then all the moms and staff at the gym started being nice to me. A little TOO nice, if you know what I mean. You don't know what I mean. Hmmmm, I must be overly sensitive.

But it IS a bit weird when women I barely know...I don't in fact even know their first names...start offering me their phone numbers. And saying, "Really, if you ever need anything...a helping hand, whatever, just call me." We are leaving and 2 different people say, "Are you SURE you don't need help?"

I know, I know...they're being nice. Which is wonderful and I appreciate and I'm sure someday I will take them up on it. But I was feeling so accomplished...so competent. But obviously I LOOKED like a basket case, like I was teetering on the edge of insanity, like I really couldn't handle my 3 children. -sigh- Again, there are definitely times that is true...it just didn't match my feelings at the time. So it makes me wonder...if I looked so out of control then, what do I look like when I really AM out of control? Should I worry about people calling social services on me?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily helped me change Michael's diaper today. She wiped his face with a cold (clean) wipe. He squealed. She was thrilled. So it begins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael seems to have replaced Lily in Andrew's adoration. So now Andrew is free to harass his sister like a normal sibling should. Not nearly as many sweet sibling moments...Andrew is giving them all to his little brother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I weighed myself today. I am 6 pounds lighter than when I started my pregnancy with Michael. Unfortunately, being home with 3 children is making me eat way more brownies and chocolate chip cookies than normal, so this weight loss should be quite temporary. Yea, that's right...I'm blaming it on the children. And I plan to for the next 30 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a bunch of stories about the kiddos to share. Completely out of my head. Maybe tomorrow I'll remember them...

I'll leave you with more pictures...


Michael deep in thought:


In the sling...the only time I get anything done. It's like a picture of a baby in the womb, don't you think?




3 comments:

Erin said...

Barefoot Lily running down the hall... that photo is awesome. How can you think she doesn't look like you? SHE DOES.

I hear you about the nice women. Don't worry. They all just want to hold that squishy newborn. They definitely have alterior (sp?) motives and it absolutely has to do with getting their hands on that baby.

CARRIE said...

I think you hide your sensitivity well because I never think of you as being sensitive (of course, that makes it sound like I think you are insensitive). Shit--you know what I mean.

Laura said...

Giselle-

Don't take this the wrong way but... I want to squeeze your kids. Oh that Michael! All of his hair and his face and his squished up feet. And Lily with her sweet, little, innocent baby girl face. And really, Andrew is looking more grown up with every post. It sounds like you're doing just fine. You're still standing and still blogging. Congratulations!