Thursday, September 03, 2009

Crafty...help...

Mornings are LONG, dude. 12:50 is when Andrew's bus comes. I was used to putting everyone down to bed at 12...so this is extending my morning an hour.

I am determined to watch less tv. Determined. And I am also determined to enrich Andrew's Kindergarten experience by trying new things in the mornings. Why should I pay for Kindergarten enrichment? Why can't I just do it myself.

Well, Michael is one reason why. Most things just aren't appropriate for a 1 year old. Once he stops eating/taste testing everything in sight, the story will change. But for now, we are limited a bit. So during his nap-time we have been getting busy trying new things.

This week I got a lot of my ideas from...-gulp-...tv. My kids are currently obsessed with Peep, a show on TLC. I actually find this show quite funny, and in between vignettes, they show kids doing fun explorations of their world. So we've tried some of them.

Here is our shadow experiment. Andrew was FASCINATED by this one. And it was so easy. Chalk! Sun! Done.



Yesterday, we decided to make footprints with paint. I moved this experiment outside. Of course, Andrew didn't actually want to get his feet painted...but he had fun mixing colors...since I only had red, yellow, and blue. I did have to stop him from shouting at Lily, "WHAT DO RED AND BLUE MAKE? TELL ME!" I explained that she was only 2, and painting, so give her a break. He solemnly replied, "I'm just trying to teach her." Lily only wanted to paint with blue. Just blue. She tried red once after my urging...after one paint stroke, she told me that red is yucky and to give her back the blue. Okay, then.








I am NOT crafty or experimenty...so I need your help. Any favorite books? Web-sites? Magazines? And I need easy. I don't want to need ingredients like "soap flakes"...because where in Sam Hill do I find soap flakes? Seriously. Where do you find soap flakes....I have some really cool things in my book that call for that.
Thanks in advance...

5 comments:

Emily said...

As soon as I saw that first pictures, I thought, "The shadow experiment from TV!"

And I'm not much help, because I'm in the same boat that you are with a 1 year old. Tried painting with him awake and vowed I won't try again until he's 2. And there are SO many things that Katy would love to do that I can't figure out how to do with a 1 year old. That's why I can't wait for preschool, so at least she's getting it somewhere...

Kelsey said...

Ditto the one-year-old problem here!

I applaud you for trying this stuff - and I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas for you, just a pat on the back. If I think of anything I'll let you know!

CARRIE said...

One time I did belly painting with N (she painted her belly and then made belly prints on the paper)...she thoroughly enjoyed that.....and if it is still warm you can hose them down afterwards.

One time, N picked flowers from our yard, and I gave her glue so she could make a wreath on cardboard or construction paper.

That's all I got. Since becoming pregnant, I have been sucko mom.

Sara said...

dry pasta crafts could be fun. and you could even do that with Michael around.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten crafts/activities/coloring pages from this website http://www.kidzone.ws/ Tons of ideas broken down by age and topic. Have fun!