Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lily...unleashed

Lily in her beautiful linen dress. Holding our caterpillars. We finally got them in the mail. We'll see if they can survive the fact that Lily wants to carry them everywhere.

I forgot to take pictures in the morning (shocker). So this is after nap. I had to get her in this dress...but the hair...dear Lord...the hair...


Lily had her first day of school yesterday. But it was one of those lame-o, parents go with you days. And unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone to watch the boys, so I brought the whole swinging crew with us. Didn't feel quite right...but what are you going to do?

I think Andrew was just as excited as Lily. Ever since June, we've been waving at the school and calling it "Lily's school." We have to pass by every time we go to the library, and since we go to the library every week, she's had a lot of practice. Andrew most enthusiastically has transferred "his" school to Lily. Yesterday was finally the day. I dressed her in a beautiful linen dress that my parents got her from Greece and that I've never had the heart to actually put her in. She will probably never wear it again. ;) She insisted on bringing her "pack-back"...it has been hanging next to Andrew's in the front hall and she has been desperately jealous every day that he has gotten to wear his. Her back-pack is from Ireland...where her other grandparents got it for her. Andrew, of course, told everyone that we saw where both were from. Dress from Greece, bag from Ireland...sound pretentious much? Every time Andrew announced this I felt like adding, "And her shoes are from Tar-Jay." Just because.

Anyhoo, I got to the school early because they have finally finished all the renovations (that made me cry last year, because it made the drop-off/pick-up so much harder), and I wanted a look around. Lily was not patient, and wanted to "Go to my school." I explained that this WAS her school, we just were looking around a bit. At that moment she spied a yoga class going on in the sanctuary, and she started walking quickly over to the ladies saying, "I go to school." I had to drag her away and explain that we needed to go to her classroom. Which we did.

Andrew of course knew the teachers. He had them for the "On My Own" program 3 years ago, and then he had them again for "Jump for Joy" the little PE program that he had every Friday last school year. They had him introduce his little sister and generally exclaimed over him. He beamed. Lily sat down on the floor and gave the teachers the papers from her "pack-back", and then started playing with some blocks. I tried desperately to keep Michael and Andrew away from the 2 year olds that were there for orientation...but it was too hard. Eventually, Michael was sitting in the mix, eating every block he could get his hands on. One of the other mothers was particularly nervous about the swine flu (AND asked what temperature do they stop letting the kids play outside AND complained about the parking lot AND requested that there be no peanuts in the classroom even though her children don't have peanut allergies, she doesn't want them to develop any(?)...) and was practically wringing her hands watching him. I felt bad. But not too bad, since she was obviously a nervous wreck about everything anyway. Andrew did AWESOME...playing but letting the 2 year olds run the show. Michael...well, he was 17 months old, and in desperate need for a nap. I had to keep dragging him back towards me, and trying to keep him quiet enough that we could hear the teachers talk.

Being there again makes me realize why I picked this school. The classrooms are bright and beautiful and welcoming and warm. There are 3 teachers for 12 kids. The teachers are mothering and nurturing and love kids. They stressed over and over that this program is not for academic learning...their goal is socialization and fun and exposure to new things without Mommy always around. That these kids have 3 years of pre-school before kindergarten and they really just don't need the academics as much as the fun stuff. I love that...I mean...they are TWO. They are only in school for 90 minutes. Make it fun! It also makes me realize why I'm so disappointed by Andrew's kindergarten...for the opposite reason. But I'm not going THERE again in this post. ;)

They spelled Lily's name differently. Which makes the irrational part of me agonize over our choice of Lily vs. Lilly. Her legal name is Lillian, so the logical choice (to me) for her nick name was Lilly. But when we were discussing it before her birth, I wanted to pick the most natural spelling. I didn't want her to constantly be spelling her nickname for everyone (scarred from childhood much, Gazebo...I mean, Gazelle...no, wait, Janelle...uh huh...Jerome?). Anyway, we finally decided that she would more than likely be called Lily in everyday life, and people wouldn't know her full name, so spelling it like the flower was probably the more likely spelling to John Q. Public. And here we are...her first foray into public life...and I have guessed incorrectly. Even though on the registration forms, I clearly wrote L-I-L-Y as her nickname. And it really doesn't matter to me, it is only her nick-name after all...and I like it L-I-L-L-Y...I even think it makes more sense...but Lily now knows how to spell her name...and I hate to have to reteach her. And she has Christmas ornaments and etc. with Lily. So I'm going to just stick to my guns and have them change everything. But it just stinks because the only reason I went with this spelling was because I thought everyone would spell it this way. Obviously I don't have a finger on the pulse of society. ;)

Lily only cried once during the whole orientation...which is a miracle considering the mood she woke up in. When it was over and we had to leave, Lily yelled, "NO! YOU GO HOME, MOMMY. COME BACK LATER AND PICK ME UP." So I'm guessing she'll be fine on Wednesday. :) But think of it from her perspective. For as long as she can remember, she has stood on the threshold of these bright beautiful fun rooms, but she has never been allowed to enter. Now it is HER turn. That's pretty exciting. I'm excited for her. My beautiful, strong-willed, funny, wonderful Lily. It is definitely your turn...is the world ready for you?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

That dress is gorgeous!
We have the same issue with Rachel's name. Everyone at church and school spells it Rachael - heck even my in laws spell it like that.
I am pretty admant about the proper spelling of it. Also, somewhere on her school forms I must ahve put her full name because everything comes addressed to Rachel Louise and her teacher had her name on her locker like that :) She likes it so that may stick

Emily said...

I would definitely guess "Lily" and only assume "Lilly" if someone told me specifically. So hopefully this is a one time thing that they got it wrong. I really think you are right for the long haul.

I had a similar decision with Katy, but kinda did the opposite. Her name is Kathryn, and I really wanted that spelling - so would it be Katie (more common) or Katy (seem to match the given name)? I ended up deciding Katy because I liked the idea of something a little different since it's a fairly common name. But I wonder if she'll be saying for the rest of her life "Katy with a Y."

Glad she liked school - this will make for lots of stories!

CARRIE said...

Don't those hand-wringing moms make you laugh now....they do me, since I know I was one. Har-har-har.

Don't fret over the name thing. I have yet to meet anyone who spells either of my kids names correctly on the first go-round. If anyone is a glutton for punishment, it is I.

Kathy C. said...

She is just absolutely precious. Beautiful right down to her pretty little toes.

What a doll.

Andrea said...

I've got one for you... Sofya
(gotta love the medical profession, you get to see all sorts of fun spellings!)-- Although none top the story of Shithead! [for those who DON'T know that story, it is pronounced: SHih -THEED]

I am so happy to hear that Lily is so enthusiastic about school. It's amazing that she's already that big!