Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Okay, so today was the first day...

Well...today was it.

I woke Lily up and got her dressed...and she immediately started in on me...

"Today I go to my school? And you leave?"

All morning, she was ready to go. She just wanted to go. Screams ensued when I tried to explain that school starts at a specific time... Just the first lesson about how life doesn't run on Lily-time.

We went over how some of the kids would cry. And that was okay...they just missed their mommy. And that Lily could tell them she was sorry they were sad and share her toys to make them feel better.

We took pictures...









And then they opened the doors...and she RAN into the classroom. I asked her for a kiss and a hug, and she didn't even hear me. She was in her element...Mama already forgotten in the first millisecond of school life.
-----------
Andrew, Michael, and I walked out to the car to go to the grocery (because, really? What else can you do for 90 minutes?). Andrew got a little teary-eyed and said, "I wonder how she's doing. Do you think she's okay? I really miss having Lily around." Honestly...I don't think I could love this child any more. He had all my emotions out in the open...what a sweet sweet boy.
-----------
When we came back to pick her up, I was the first in line. (because, really? 90 minutes is too long to go shopping). She hollers "Mommy!" and Andrew barges in the classroom to give her a huge hug. She then runs out to me hugs me and says in one breath, "We had COOKIES and we played play-doh and we made hearts and we read a book with Cookie Monster and we had COOKIES." I hugged her and told her I was proud of her. And then she said, "Mommy, thank you so much for leaving me at school." Sweet little thing. I told her that she'd get to go again next week and have more fun. And she said, "But you stay with me?" I told her that I can't stay because Michael will eat all the toys, so I have to leave her there alone again. She said, "Oh! Great!"
------
How can I be sentimental with that much enthusiasm and pure joy about school? The teachers kind of waved me off, because they were busy talking with the poor parents that left screaming children in their wake. Lily was a pro. On her very first day.
--------
Love her.

6 comments:

d e v a n said...

Excellent! It's such a relief (even if it's a bit bittersweet) when they do well.

Emily said...

I felt the same way - how can I be sad when she's SO EXCITED? Glad it went well... is it always 90 minutse or was that a first day thing?

Andrea said...

what a cutie pie! I love the sideways smile. Little miss independent starting school... I'm so glad she had a good first day!

Anonymous said...

Yeah,Lily! Play-doh and cookies are the best.

CARRIE said...

So glad she enjoyed herself!

Emily said...

P.S. I thought of you when I saw this:
http://psmomreviews.blogspot.com/2009/09/football-guys-review-giveaway.html?showComment=1253238493493#c1930275633502281964

Seems like something Andrew would fall over for...