Tuesday, October 06, 2009

3 years

How has it been 3 years already? It feels like I've known this little girl for my entire lifetime...or at least half.

Lillian Jeannette. My girl. My most traumatic birth story. My most difficult baby and toddler (so far). My singer. My pretend play master. Miss Independent with a mommy-girl streak in her. The only baby to say Ma-Ma before Da-Da (that's right...I remember...and I'm keeping score). Miss Opinionated. Stubborn. Dramatic. Hilarious. Endearing. Ticklish. Oh so ticklish. Tough. Occasionally cuddly.

My Lily. How I was terrified of having a girl. How I thought that I would be a terrible mother to a girl. But, of course, you are MY girl after all. You don't care about clothes or dressing up. Although you are the first to compliment someone else on their outfit. You love dolls and playing house, and pink is your very favorite color, but you also like to pick up bugs and wrestle and fart. And talk about your bootie. But I really blame Andrew for some of those things, not myself. We love to do things together, "Just the girls", but we so rarely get time to do it. I love snuggling with you at bedtime and reading books with you and being Daisy to your Minnie. I love watching you color your faces (her latest thing) and make your Cheerios talk to each other and listening to the long stories you make up (the latest is the spooooky woods story). I love your invented songs and your sweet compliments towards others and how you stick up for yourself and when you show me your moves.

You are so different than your brothers. So far you are the most challenging, but I welcome that challenge. You have only been here for 3 years, but you have such a big chunk of my heart all to yourself. I love you and can't wait to see all that you do this next year....there will be battles fought and new skills learned, new independence tested and experiments tried. And I hope we survive it, you and me. Nah, I KNOW we will.

New

One



Two


Three!


7 comments:

d e v a n said...

happy birthday big girl!

Annie said...

Happy Birthday fellow goldfish loving friend!

Love,
Reina

Joanne said...

So sweet! How time flies!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday Lily!! That last picture shocks me... She looks so grown up! Her 2 year-old photo is how I remember her, but that is because it's been close to 7 months since I last saw her! Lots of love from her Auntie Andrea!! Give her a BIG kiss for me!

Erin said...

Eee! She looks so big in that last picture. Happy birthday, Lily!

bluedaisy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Lily! It's good she is spunky, considering she's got 2 brothers to manage ;)

CARRIE said...

Gosh. Time is going so fast. It is sad (insert postpartum weeping here).