Monday, October 12, 2009

Alternate reality

This weekend was a chance for Jeff and I to experience an alternate reality of our current life. He took Andrew and flew to Ohio to enjoy the OSU vs. Wisconsin game. Also known as "Andrew-nirvana". I stayed here with the 2 younger children.

Let's review...Jeff...single parent of our almost 6 year old with his two parents to help him and an exciting and fun event to go to. Me...single parent of a 1 and 3 year old at home alone and nothing planned.

But it really wasn't too bad. Really. 2 kids that are healthy and sleep well really aren't hard. Even when they help with the laundry.

And occasionally have fits when you won't let them "help".
No, I was really expecting Lily to have a difficult time without her constant playmate around. And I was really worried about taking them into public without my helper along to keep an eye on the wanderers.
-
But Lily never asked for Andrew. She quietly played by herself most of the weekend. I don't think she screamed once. She just reveled in her alone time. And I was able to hang out with Michael and keep him away from her. We went to baby-ish parks and play areas that Andrew whines and acts bored at. We went to the mall and walked as slow as we could and rode the baby rides in the center aisles. We went to the library and checked out only board books and princess books. We watched all the girl movies we could get our hands on.
-
We had a great time. And it was easy and fun and I loved that they took naps and I had the afternoons to myself and there was no wrestling Good God I didn't miss the wrestling.
I mean, I missed Andrew. Kind of. But it was so EASY to have 2.
-
And Jeff, meanwhile was entertaining the football crazed maniac with his parents in tow.
-
Andrew showing off his game day outfit and holding up his tickets...

Showing us his fierce football pose.


Andrew's tender tooshie didn't like the bleachers...so the adults got to share the joys of holding a 51 pound child on their laps...while sitting on those same "comfy" bleachers. But isn't he cute all cuddled up with his Grandpa, reading the program?


My favorite of favorite shots...
After they got back home, and Andrew was tucked back into his own bed, Jeff told me that his weekend was so easy...so easy that he dreamed all weekend of how easy life would be if we had just stopped after having Andrew.
-
And then I told him all the cute and endearing things his two youngest did, and how really 2 is very easy also.
-
So I think that our solution is simple. We need to borrow someone's kid for a month or so. You know, take our numbers up to 4 children. Live like THAT for a while, and then send the 4th kid home. And then 3 will seem really really easy. BAM...perspective.
-
Any takers? Anybody with a child they could spare for a month or so? What's that...do I hear someone screaming yes in Columbus?

4 comments:

bluedaisy said...

There is someone screaming in Chester County (me)!

Um, gee I could take you up on that offer come December when we welcome #3...I will even give you your choice: Would you rather have a 3.5 yr old or 2.5 yr old? Sorry, no gender selection as they are both boys.

I often think now about how "easy" two children seem--especially when those children are gaining some independence and we are not so stuck in the baby-zone. Of course, we will be thrown immediately into NEWBORN zone very soon. I am excited but also a bit apprehensive!

Perspective really is the key, isn't it? I love the football photos and I think it is pretty cool that you both got to experience the kids under different circumstances. It sounds like it worked out well for everyone :)

Kate said...

How did you know there would be interest from the Columbus area??

Sara said...

There is screaming down near Cincinnati! Want another adorable girl to play with? I can offer you an almost 5 yr old or a 13 month old!
It sounds like you both had interesting experiences with the kiddos. I always am surprised at how it easier on the days when Ally is home vs in preschool. Watching Ally run around keeps Kelly happy! Which, of course, makes me happy!
Perspective is a beautiful thing! :o)

Andrea said...

I have always noticed it is easier when one is taken out of the equation. Just so you know, it doesn't matter which one you remove it is still easier :)
Someone once told me that a 3rd child doesnt just tripple the work it makes it infinitely harder (same person who told me her 3rd child put her over the edge - no, she did not know we were expecting our 3rd yet!)