Monday, May 16, 2011

The annoying neighbor

We have recently welcomed a new neighbor with children just Andrew and Lily's ages and genders (G and A). It is fabulous. Playdates are spontaneous and often short. The children get along. They are respectful and kind and the kids have genuine fun. Dare I say a dream come true?

But there is another girl, H. She is homeschooled and 10 years old. She is wanting to play with our 4 year olds every day. In fact, I think she must go to my neighbor's house every day, because now when I call to see if A. wants to play, H. is always there or always comes over with her.

I feel bad for H. She is obviously a very social girl, and I don't know why she is being homeschooled, but it is hard on her. She was in the public schools until January or February, and she was always so friendly and social as she got on and off the bus. I can tell that being home is difficult. She apparently only gets schooled in the mornings, because she is wandering the neighborhood starting just after lunch.

The thing is? I don't really want H. playing with Lily and A. all the time. When they are alone, Lily and A. play very very well. They take turns being bossy and controlling. They are thoughtful of each other in a way I didn't know 4 year olds could be. But H. clearly favors A., since they play more and I think because A. is a lot more sophisticated than Lily (in the music she likes, her knowledge of pop culture, etc). So when H. is involved...they basically ignore Lily. Which is really irritating when they come to play at our house. A. and H. traipse through our house playing with our toys and literally don't even respond to Lily. Lily is so desperate for playmates, she just kind of pathetically follows them.

It is beyond irritating. And H. just doesn't get the hint. I've asked her to go home...she comes back 30 minutes later. She is persistant and has the attention span of a fly and gets into stuff that the little girls wouldn't. Like using my big extra supply of bubbles as "tea" while playing outside instead of water or nothing.

Yet? She's not actually doing anything wrong. She's just being a kid who plays with much younger children. She is the ring leader naturally, since she is SIX YEARS OLDER than her playmates. And now that she is a permanant attachment to A., Lily's basic choice is to not have a neighborhood playmate or to be ignored and mistreated by an older girl.

So I don't know what to do. Logically I know that summer vacation is coming, so H.'s older friends will be home...perhaps she'll ditch the younger girls for more appropriate friendships. Logically I know I can just make playdates for Lily with little girls outside the neighborhood like I did before A. moved in. Logically I know that this is a learning experience for Lily...to learn how to navigate complicated girl relationships...to know when to stand up for yourself, when to be quiet and put up with things, and when to let friendships go.

But she's 4. And she doesn't know how to do this yet. And I'm really annoyed.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, I hate this kind of situation. It's almost worst when it's your child and not yourself in the throes of the awkwardness. When to intervene and when to let nature take its course?!
Other people's children frequently annoy me, too. This is a tough one....

d e v a n said...

Urgh. I'm always afraid to get too close to neighbors because I hate these kinds of situations.

Michelle said...

Our annoying neighbor is an 8yo girl who is home schooled. Her mother is doing her a drastic injustice as she is very socially challenged and starved for playmates. She is very often NOT NICE to Reagyn or gets into things she has no business in. I have tried being nice and it doesn't get the point across so I am, more often that not, incredibly blunt with her. Rumor has it they are moving end of July. Amen.

Emily said...

Ugh...doesn't it always seems like there's some kid on the street that creates an awkward or difficult play situation? I hate that. Are you close enough with A's mom to have a conversation with her about it? Maybe if she knew what was going on...there would be a way to set up playdates for the 4 year olds before H could join in? Very strange...

Anonymous said...

These situations are the worst! We have a 9yr old girl and 11 yr old boy in our neighborhood who terrorize the younger kids. They would tell Brayden and Bryn they were "losers". And that wasn't the worst of it! I have to agree with Michelle, being blunt is the way to go. One day I'd had it and I called them both over and explained what the rules of our house were and if they couldn't follow them they'd have to go home. I sent them home that day and they didn't come back for months. It was wonderful! They migrated to another neighbor's and terrorized her kids until she did the same thing and they're not allowed at her house any more either. So sad for these kids. They're just looking for something to do. But where is their mother? If she's not going to monitor her children then when they are at my house I won't tolerate anything I wouldn't tolerate from my own kids.

Good luck.

bluedaisy said...

Our neighborhood is comprised of children who are older than our guys by at least 3 years. A couple of the older boys like our boys and ask to come play in our (tiny) yard. They know they have to be nice in order to stay. I personally am not a fan of uninvited guests and if you send someone home, they shouldn't come back in 30 mins. Maybe try to divide the time and sometimes have it be just 2 girls vs. all 3? This is a tough one unless the parents involved are approachable (like Emily suggested). I agree that kids need to learn these lessons but Lily is in a bad spot on this one-I'd probably intervene but I'm not sure how. Yeah, I'm so much help! Hopefully someone else has better advice than me!!

CARRIE said...

Well in my limited experience, I found that once I blogged about another kid doing something to my kid that wasn't mean or wrong just "older kid like," the parent labeled me a complete asshole and our kids didn't go around each other anymore. Problem solved.

Seriously, though, this is tough, and I've had a similarly uncomfortable neighborhood child situation. So I feel your aggravation and pain.

Kelsey said...

I don't really have any advice for you but I guess if Harper were the older child I would WANT someone to tell me if they were having trouble with her. But I hope the end of the school year leads things to a more natural resolution!