Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back here again

Step 1: Be happy in life. Enjoy house, neighbors, kids' schools, groups and friends. Plan future possible part time jobs...in your head at least. Talk to people about which teachers are good in upper grades, when the correct age is to start la crosse, what dance school has the least creepy costumes for recitals. Make plans. Dig in roots. Feel contentment and stability.

Step 2: Husband lets you know he has an interview for a new job. (he is now under strict instructs to not tell you until he has an actual in-person interview) Talk obsessively about job and its possible pros and cons. Discuss what is known about new city. Pros and cons versus our current location.

Step 3: While husband is away on interview, fight urge to search for houses in new area. Fight urge (and usually fail) to talk to everyone you see about the possibility of moving. Look around house with the eyes of a potential buyer and begin panicking about how much work there is to do. Fight the urge to reconsider signing up for things that start in a few months for fear we will be gone.

Step 4: Listen to husband be excited when he comes home from the interview. Hear his hope and enthusiasm for taking his career in a direction more suited to him. Begin listing the reasons NOT to stay where we are. Begin justifying why it will be okay for us all to leave. Mentally begin pulling those roots up and out a bit. Imagine how you will tell your friends in the area that you are leaving. Start thinking of hiring a handyman and collecting paperwork from the children's doctors and schools and finding out where to live in the new location.

Step 5: Wait. And wait. And tell more people about the possiblity of moving. And wait. And wait some more.

Step 6: Find out the job went to someone else. Remind yourself why living here is actually really nice and the kids are happy and Jeff isn't too too unhappy in his job. Tell everyone that you blurbed the news to that you once again are the boy who cried wolf. Just kidding, no moving. Comfort your husband and bolster his dejected ego all while you secretly breathe a sigh of relief. No moving...not now. Not yet. Forget about all the fun things you brainstormed about the new location, perhaps you'll have to go on a trip there. Settle back in and let those roots stay put.

Now start over again at Step 1.



And now you know how my life cycles a few times each year. -sigh- It gets so old.

6 comments:

bluedaisy said...

That is an emotional roller coaster-ugh! I am glad you guys are staying b/c while I don't live super-close, we are just close enough to leave the door open for another get together :) Maybe the right opportunity will come along that allows to stay in one spot?

d e v a n said...

That is hard. ((hug))

CARRIE said...

I think I would lose my mind....the limbo would drive me batty. You are a jewel to be so supportive of Jeff. I don't know that I would be able to stay on the high road.
Of course, if you get to move back here or Cincy, I am soooooo hoping he gets the job!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you don't have to deal with the stress of a move right now. Though it's probably just a temporary delay. Please tell Jeff he's not allowed to move you until after I visit. (This is sounding oddly familiar...did I already say this in another comment or in one of our conversations? Sheesh...I'm losing it.)

May your roots stay deep for awhile longer :)

Joanne said...

Oh my gosh! I could have written this post (and I'm horrible at number 3! As soon as Kevin's plane lands, I'm looking at houses in the potential new city/state)! I feel your frustration, but am glad for you that it's not time yet.

Kelsey said...

I feel like this was going on for us too, for a long time, the difference being we never actually moved! But there was a period of about two years before the MI thing that we were in the same type of cycle. Other than MI the closet we got to moving would have been to Louisville.

I'm with Carrie on only rooting for a move if it brings you back to Ohio. :-)