Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to my mom, whose words come out of my mouth daily as I deal with my own children. Who has taught me what it is to be a mother and wife and home caretaker. She is the one I strive to be in the day to day trenches of mothering. The memory of the mother she was when I was little is a level I feel impossible to reach day to day. Perhaps my children will not notice or remember my day to day struggles as well? She is the one who is teaching me that you never stop needing your mommy...and in fact perhaps you need their words and hugs and love even more in the cold reality of adulthood. She is the one that makes me ache that I live so far away. The one I can talk to every morning and never run out of things to say. The one who I can tease and vent to and still know I am loved.



Happy Mother's Day to my second mother, Linda. Who raised a son that became a thoughtful and caring and patient husband. Who is truly a super-mom...someone who has managed to have it all and be it all, career woman, fantastic mother, home maker extraordinaire. Who is patient and understanding of her less than super-mom daughter-in-law...watching me do things differently than she would and still being supportive and loving. I consider myself lucky beyond luck to have been born to a woman that I love, respect, and enjoy the company of. To have married a man with an equally wonderful mother? Indescribable.


Happy Mother's Day to my sister. She is another of those super-moms...balancing a career and family. She teaches me every day about the power of unconditional love. She bounces back from frustrations and perseveres in ways that I don't know if I could. She no doubt could spell persevere without spell check...something I can only dream of. :) I am proud of the mother my sister has become and I am so grateful to have someone to brag to and cry to and vent to that loves my children and me so much.


Happy Mother's Day to my grandma, who is recovering from a partial hip replacement and suffering from Alzheimer's. She raised 8 children, one of whom became my father. Like many from her generation, life was not always easy for her. But she is the model of unconditional love...keeping her marriage full of love even through illness and addictions, welcoming new family members (like step-grandkids, etc) and treating them like her own, and always willing to keep the peace enough for family functions to run like normal.

Happy Mother's Day to my memere, who is 91 and suffering from demensia. She manages to enjoy life and maintain her pleasant outlook, despite confusion and physical discomforts. She is childlike now, but still so sunny and loveable. All I can hope to be when I am elderly. (Although, who are we kidding? I am totally going to be the cranky one at the end of the hall who constantly complains and throws her bedpan at people.)


Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's that support me and keep me sane and give me a lifeline in the day to day trenches of motherhood. I'm talking to you, Mommy-bloggers. And you, neighbors and local friends. And you, random grandmothers in the grocery who tell me what delightful children I have. Not you, cranky librarians and impatient store clerks. But all the others. Thank you for walking this road with me!

2 comments:

bluedaisy said...

This is so thoughtful...and beautifully written. And you made me tear up!! Love this and hope your Mother's Day was fantastic :)
(no joke-my word verification is "rested"...a Mother's Day joke?)

CARRIE said...

I'll be a crank right along with you!!!