Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Just write

I have been majorly ignoring the blog. Perhaps because last week was full of birthday-girl activities, which included celebrating on her actual day as well as a whirlwind weekend with the grandparents. Perhaps it is because I have to run a race in 4 days and I am fluctuating between scared as shit and depressed that 3.2 miles scares me this bad. Perhaps when I get back from our weekend away and this is behind me...perhaps then I will write down all the insanely cute/annoying/lovable/excruciating things my children have been doing lately.

Like Michael has been coming home from school and telling me horrible stories. Stories like, "The VIP had long hair and I told him to cut his hair or I would punch him in the stomach." Also, "This boy took my truck and I won't share so I took a hammer and hit the truck over and over." I have repeatedly asked the teachers for confirmation and they said while there is the occasional scuffle over toys, Michael seems to be acting appropriately and not overly violent. Maybe he's just telling me what he WANTS to do?

Andrew has a lot going on in his life right now. School, homework, soccer, swim lessons, now cub scouts. He also has a busy social agenda, with boys coming to our door every night begging him to come outside and join them in a rousing game of football/baseball/arguing/soccer. I work hard to encourage him to do his homework early so he can run around outside or go to practice or whatever. Homework is painfully easy, and yet it is like pulling teeth to get him to do it. And last night I asked him to either read or go to bed, since he'd been so tired all day. He just said no. He sat there and refused to do anything. My boy showing defiance? A new experience for us. He's just warming us up for Lily in a few years :)

Speaking of Lily...she is in a delightful explosion of skills. All of a sudden she is coloring in the lines and enjoying crafts and wanting to write messages. She is reading sight words and noticing words in our every day adventures. She wants to read and write and cut and do all kinds of big kid things. She is a joy to cook with, a blast to play games with, and just plain fun to talk to. Is there anything more perfect in the world than a 5 year old little girl? I think not.

Okay, that's a start.

2 comments:

CARRIE said...

Good luck with the race!

bluedaisy said...

I'm excited for your race (even if you are not!)...I think it's awesome that you are going for it :)