Monday, October 17, 2011

Uncomfortable

Andrew is a cub scout now. He is thrilled. I am still trying to get Jeff to stop referring to it as a cult, as in "When is Andrew's next cult meeting." -sigh-

In order to earn patches and beads and things, he has to complete objectives in his cub scout handbook. The last item on his list to earn his Bobcat patch was to discuss Stranger safety guidelines with a parent. So they have a special little booklet for me to read and then I go over different scenarios with him. Like, "A neighbor comes to school to pick you up and tells you that your mom is sick and asked her to come get you. Your mom has never said that this neighbor will come pick you up. What do you do?" or some other more distubing prompts like, "Someone comes up to you in the bathroom and asks to see your private parts. What do you do?"

After about 10 of these, and we still had a few to go, I sum it up for Andrew, "Basically, if anyone tells you stories or asks you to do something that makes you uncomfortable, you should tell me or Dad."

Andrew speaks up with an embarrassed grin on his face, "Mom? This conversation is making me really uncomfortable."

Break to me busting up laughing and giving him a big hug. Yes. This IS an uncomfortable conversation. You got it, kid.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a side note, thank you for the supportive comments on my run. If I need any motivation to do it again next summer, Lily gave it to me today. She and Michael were playing house, and she asked him to take the baby. She started running down the sidewalk as Michael cheered, "Go Mommy Go!" I asked what they were doing, and Lily answered, "I'm the mommy and I'm running a race."

4 comments:

CARRIE said...

I laughed out loud at Andrew's comment!!

Wow! Your kids are your biggest fans....as it should be! Awesome example you are setting for them!!!

bluedaisy said...

It's kind of cool that the conversation was part of earning the badge...an opportunity to talk about that stuff & obviously, Andrew got it.
I agree with Carrie- your kids are your fan club & you are a fantastic example :)
I am curious to know if you are sore from the run?

Pamela said...

Brayden starts cub scouts soon too and I am dreading it. He has a pack meeting (is that what they're called?) every week. I'm just envisioning a lot of work for Mom.

Love the reenactment by Lily and Michael--those kids don't miss a thing! One day you'll be watching Lily's kids so she can go run a marathon :)

HawleyFamily said...

LOL!! Adam says the SAME thing about the cubscouts!!! hahaha!